cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved Folder from One Location to Another but Files didn't Transfer and now theyre missing

Moved Folder from One Location to Another but Files didn't Transfer and now theyre missing

vmartin2023
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi,

I'd appreciate any feedback immediately since this is a business issue. We have a business dropbox account that houses all the "server" files. Each personal user automatically gets a personal folder under the business account to move documents into as needed. Well I moved a project into my personal folder (still under the business account) and was working on them. When I finished I went to the dropbox browser to move them back to the "server" location, and manually checked the file I wanted to move, selected the location on the "server", and clicked move. When I went to the server to verify it was there, the main folder is apparent, however, none of the files in the folder are there. They are also no longer in my personal folder. Where did they go and how do we get them back??? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

vmartin2023
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yes, I have tried any and everything to find these files. They are nowhere. We ended up having to recover past deleted files, and re-did any work that was lost. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @vmartin2023, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you please have a look at your events page and let me know if you can find your missing files there? 

If you could also send me a screenshot of how it looks on your end I'd appreciate it. 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

vmartin2023
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Is this the same thing as the activity folder shown on the right side toolbar area? I've highlighted the event shown below. This was the folder moving to the 2023 folder which is what we wanted.

Activity_2023-06-28.PNG

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @vmartin2023, the events page will show you all the additions/deletions/edits/moves made in the account up to a certain date depending on your version history.

So, what does the events page show about this particular folder?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

vmartin2023
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

How do I navigate to the events page? I see the activity area, but not a location for the events. Also, dropbox is not allowing me to respond to the message you sent Hannah. It is giving an error.

vmartin2023
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Googled it and found the events page. It says the same thing as the activity log. See image below....

vmartin2023_0-1688129925374.png

This is the folder we needed and the right location, but there was nothing in that folder.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @vmartin2023, it looks like you added or created the folder in that location, however, it doesn't indicate that any new files were also added, as that should be part of the same event.

This would mean that the files weren't moved in that event.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

vmartin2023
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I know they weren't. I'm wondering what happened to them because they just disappeared. The process for moving the folder was the following: 223003 folder was checked>clicked "move">found the desired location in the TCT folder>clicked move to. However, only a folder was moved and not the files. The files are not in the original location nor the location the folder was moved to. So where are they?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Have you used the search bar on your "all files" page to search for some example files, to see if you can locate them that way?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

vmartin2023
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yes, I have tried any and everything to find these files. They are nowhere. We ended up having to recover past deleted files, and re-did any work that was lost. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

vmartin2023 Helpful | Level 5
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?