cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modify and save *TXT file formats within a web browser

Modify and save *TXT file formats within a web browser

NPN-PN
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello.

This is a feature request.

Currently I am unable to modify a Note file -- file format *.txt -- inside a browser. Browser is Opera, recently updated.

I can modify it within a mobile app.

Since I use DB on a PC and a phone concurrently it makes sense to be able to open, mod, save, and close TXT files through a PC's browser interface.

Please add in this feature. It will improve my productivity & lower frustration level & improve convenience significantly.

Thank you very much!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah C
Dropbox Product Manager
Go to solution

Hi @NPN-PN 

Following up here -- we have released text file editing on web. Please see this post for more information. 

Thank you for sharing your feedback and please feel free to let us know if you have any other questions or feedback as well!

Thanks,

Hannah

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @NPN-PN  - thanks for sharing your thoughts on this with us!

I've passed your comments on to the team and you can let us know if you have anything else to add.

Cheers!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

NPN-PN
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

OK.

A *.txt file is an old file that's rudimentary to PC use.

I used it constantly to take notes.

The major selling point of *.txt is that since its so old that its considered legacy and is recognized by all modern machines. Also because of its primitiveness it is small and opens quickly; it doesn't need a dedicated viewer; opens on all text software (free and paid); opens on all devices (old and modern); is easy to attach to email to share.

By making *.txt file format natively editable within the DB GUI on a WinPC you will make it so much easier to take notes for all sorts of people -- students, businessmen, authors, scientists, etc.

-T.

Hannah C
Dropbox Product Manager
Go to solution

Hi there!

I'm a product manager at Dropbox and my team is working on bringing the .txt file edit functionality to desktop web soon! I'll update this thread when it becomes more widely available. 

We appreciate your feedback and please let us know if you have any other questions & comments as well!

Hannah

Hannah C
Dropbox Product Manager
Go to solution

Hi @NPN-PN 

Following up here -- we have released text file editing on web. Please see this post for more information. 

Thank you for sharing your feedback and please feel free to let us know if you have any other questions or feedback as well!

Thanks,

Hannah

NPN-PN
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I just successfully used this new feature to take notes for a business webinar. It worked flawlessly! Thank you for such a swift response in adding this seeming small and deceptively unimportant feature to your DB toolbox!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

NPN-PN Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah C Dropbox Product Manager
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?