cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing files when moving a big folder

Missing files when moving a big folder

Stupendastic
Helpful | Level 6

Hello,

We are an audiovisual production company and we have our material bidirectionally synchronized between our Synology NAS (via CloudSync) with Dropbox Business Advanced.

When we finish a project, we move the folder from Dropbox Web to another folder that is not synchronized with our NAS, so it disappears from our hard drives and stays in Dropbox as Backup.

On more than one occasion we have found that when making this move from Dropbox Web, if any movement or extra action is made during the process (delete, copy or move another folder...) the folder that we moved from the beginning remains in no man's land, neither in the source folder nor in the destination folder. It simply disappears.

When this happens we open a chat, they ask us if we have checked in deleted files, in events/activities, in rewind folder... and when they realize that we are not getting anywhere, they transmit our case to the support service.

The support service asks us for the name of a specific file that was inside that missing folder. From those files on more than 3 occasions they have been able to recover the entire folder. But now we are in a situation where even offering the exact file names they are not able to find anything on their system. That implies that we have lost the backup of a client who asks us for a new version of the same video. And we are unable to do so because those files were lost during a folder move.

I don't know if something similar has happened to you or if you have found a solution, but I'm scared to think that they might not be able to recover that folder.

Thanks for your time!

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Stupendastic, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you clarify what you mean by 'move the folder from Dropbox Web to another folder that is not synchronized with our NAS'? Are not all folders syncing between Dropbox and the NAS?

This would help me to understand how you're able to keep the folder on the site while deleting it from the computer.

Keep me updated with any details!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Stupendastic
Helpful | Level 6

Hello!

Indeed, not all of our Dropbox folders are synchronized with our NAS. But our entire NAS is on Dropbox.We move the folder from Dropbox Web so that it goes out of sync and disappears from our NAS but stays in Dropbox. It is a system that works 99% of the time. But if it doesn't work it leaves no trace that can be recovered and generates a very serious error.

Thank you

Jay
Dropbox Staff

If the movement event isn't appearing on the events page, then something could've affected the move itself. 

Only the support team would be able to look into this matter in more detail if it occurs again.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Stupendastic Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?