cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost files when I deleted local data

Lost files when I deleted local data

Eleven01
Explorer | Level 3

I uploaded my work data to dropbox in the past, but now I deleted it when I was organizing local data, but I didn’t operate dropbox to delete it. What’s the reason why the files were deleted at the same time?
Thanks for the help.
13 Replies 13

Eleven01
Explorer | Level 3
You seem to have misunderstood me.I'm not deleting files from the Dropbox folder in Finder, I'm just only deleting local files in Finder.
When I deleted the local files in Finder, the same files in Dropbox were also deleted at the same time. I never opened any dropbox folders to delete any files.
For example: I uploaded "file number A" from Finder to a shared folder in Dropbox in November.
When I tidied up Finder in December, I only deleted "file number A" in Finder, and only delete the local hard drive in Finder.
And no one delete any files in the Dropbox shared folder.
When I opened the dropbox shared folder in January, I found that the "file number A" I uploaded in November was deleted at the same time in December.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Do you mean that you deleted a file somewhere outside the Dropbox folder, which is not backed up with Dropbox backup and then the copy of this file in Dropbox was deleted as well?

Would you mind sending us a screenshot of the folder this file was deleted from in Finder, so we can check the file path in Finder?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Eleven01
Explorer | Level 3

@Hannah
Yes, I just deleted a file in Finder,outside the Dropbox folder. that's file was already backed up with Dropbox share folder,but I just deleted the file in finder,not deleted in Dropbox share folder, then the same names file in Dropbox was deleted as well.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Could you attach a screenshot showing the exact location of the folder you're deleting files from?

Also, right click that folder and choose Get Info, and reply in your next post with that screenshot as well.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Eleven01 Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?