cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Lost data after my company changed my account to my company email

Lost data after my company changed my account to my company email

jblankenship
Explorer | Level 3

Q:  when I was set up for my company they used my personal email for dropbox set up....I used it for several months and they just last week they changed it to my company email.  I lost all my data that I put in the folders for two month...it's not deleted, but I believe when the night processed ran it removed the files out of my personal email to match the company dropbox...can anyone help.

again they are not in the deleted folder under my personal email to retrieve.  I was going to pay the $119 to rewind, but wasn't sure that would even work since they were sync'd and removed...please advise.  thanks

16 Replies 16

Rich
Super User II

@jblankenship wrote:

even if he did just invite me under my work email, why can I not see the files signing into my personal email?

You're really not providing enough information for us to be able to answer that. It's still not clear what type of account you had (i.e. individual or part of a Business team), and if it was part of a team, exactly how was the change made... the exact steps taken.

For instance, if you were part of a team account and they removed you from the team, the account would be deleted and you could be signing into a new personal account that wouldn't have access to the files you had previously. Or if they only changed the email address on your account, nothing should change other than the email.

It's also not clear where the files were stored. Were they only in your account and no one else could access them? Were they in a folder that was shared with other people? etc.

This is why we need to know the exact steps that were taken first to invite you, assuming you were in a shared folder or a team account, and then for whatever was done to put you in the state you're in now.

jblankenship
Explorer | Level 3

it would have had to been part of the business because I could see all the business activities that were in there and I saw updates when they dropped files in.

and when I log into my personal email account I can still see the business files, I just can't see the ones I dropped in under my personal email since i started with the company that I did have prior to the change in email...hope this makes sense.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

HI again, @jblankenship.

Were these files added to your personal account through your local Dropbox folder or did you use our website to drop them in?

If you used the Dropbox folder, did you confirm that the files synced to the account? 

Meaning, were you previously able to access them from your account on dropbox.com or were you only accessing them from the Dropbox folder?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jblankenship
Explorer | Level 3

I accessed them on my personal account on my desktop.  I did not log into dropbox.com to access them.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi again, @jblankenship! Since we’ll need account visibility to see what happened, I suggest getting in touch with our support team, so that they can look into your Dropbox account and see more details. 

You can reach out to them directly via this page.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jblankenship
Explorer | Level 3

Good morning Nancy,

the navigation on that page is not very clear, could you send me an email address to reach out to dropbox support so I can email my personal and work account information?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @jblankenship - have you tried navigating to the page Nancy linked to in her previous response and navigating to the email option? 

It should be looking like this: 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?