cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cropping or color adjusting JPGs using Dropbox results in them turning upside down!

Cropping or color adjusting JPGs using Dropbox results in them turning upside down!

shirley s.2
Explorer | Level 3

I took photos on my Android, uploaded them to Dropbox, and they all looked fine, correctly oriented.  I then decided to crop some of them and adjust the color on a few (some things are worth waiting for!).

Okay, but the problem is that once I crop and/or adjust the color, the photo turns itself upside down and cannot be corrected.

Did I try to use the rotate facility to flip it back? Yes. It, seemed to take but would not save and thereafter, insists on being upside down.

Did I try and refresh the screen? Yes.

Did I try both to overwrite and save a copy? Yes. Both options give the same bad result.

The photos are seemingly screwed up forever and cannot be fixed. This actually happened to me a couple years ago and I decided then that Dropbox was "no good" for editing. I was too busy to mess with it after one frustrating phone call to the help desk, as they could not figure it out.

Now, all this time has passed and I would like to use the editing features of Dropbox. And I see that the problem still remains for me.

Does anyone out there use the Dropbox editing features? Has anyone else had this problem??  If so, is it fixable???

19 Replies 19

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @shirley s.2, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

We're not experiencing this on our end. Could you clarify the exact steps you're taking when editing the image?

Are you using the official Dropbox editor, or a third party app that is connected to Dropbox?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

shirley s.2
Explorer | Level 3

I do not know. I assume that I am using Dropbox as my editor. Give me some examples of Third Party apps. Also, how do I check for third party apps?

When I go into Dropbox settings, I see, under "Default Editing Apps" I see Word, Excel, and Powerpoint listed. Are those "third party apps"???  Shall I delete them?

shirley s.2
Explorer | Level 3

For each of these 3 options, it says "view in Dropbox.com." Does that mean that I am using Dropbox as my editor?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Could you attach a screenshot showing the tools you're using to edit the photos in question? This would help to see if it's the Dropbox editor, or another tool.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

shirley s.2
Explorer | Level 3

As you can see in my response, as far as I can see, I am using Dropbox as my editor.

My exact editing steps:  open jpg -- select crop -- move crop bars to my desire -- click save, bottom left -- click save, replace original in the upper left OR click to save copy -- and/or I

open jpg -- Enhance color correct -- click save click save, bottom left -- click save, replace original in the upper left OR click to save copy

NOTE: this is happening in the recent folder I uploaded. I went back to an old folder from 2019 and edited a couple photos and this DID NOT happen. The terrible thing about this is that once they turn themselves down, I CANNOT get them to go back right-side up.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

We're not experiencing this behavior on our files. Could you try moving one of those files out of the folder to edit it in another folder on your Dropbox account, to see if this issue is repeated on that file?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

shirley s.2
Explorer | Level 3

shirleys2_0-1722428417755.png

shirley s.2
Explorer | Level 3

No luck. Same result. Here is what I did: I took one jpg and moved it to an empty sub-folder of the folder I am dealing with. Same result.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Is there anything new or different about these new images in how they were originally created?

Do new images uploaded now also experience the same behavior?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    shirley s.2 Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?