cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to automatically delete duplicates?

Is there a way to automatically delete duplicates?

Jenout311
New member | Level 2

I've seen this asked multiple times but the post were a bit older.
It's 2024, is there a way to auto delete duplicates yet? I'm starting to feel like this is a ploy to get us to buy more space at this point. I can't even find a way to sort my photos that should technically put the duplicates beside each other. Super frustrating, very discouraging, and now I'm becoming very dissatisfied and disappointed. PLEASE HELP!!

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

@Jenout311 wrote:
I've seen this asked multiple times but the post were a bit older. It's 2024, is there a way to auto delete duplicates yet?

No, Dropbox has no such function. If you're syncing all of your files to your computer, then you can run any duplicate finder app against your local Dropbox folder and it will work just fine.

Jenout311
New member | Level 2
Thanks @rich. That's what I assumed. I'm mainly using the app on my phone. But I've recently stopped sync to my downloads and kept dropbox synced to my other folders. So I think I have it corrected going forward. It's just the years of photos to try to sort through so I'm not wasting money.

For content, I model and receive around 500-1,000 photos per photoshoot. I then download and review to select which ones I would like edited. I like to keep the whole watermarked collection even though they are not edited or published, to use as guidance and learning. So they add up quickly!! Currently, my phone, Dropbox, Google, one drive, and Amazon galleries are full with things spread everywhere. It's a whole mess!

Ideally, I'd love to get my Dropbox cleaned out and move everything here to keep it in one location. But the lack of deleting duplicates being an option will take me hours to do the first time, and then days to correct after moving everything over. Plus, I'd have to subscribe to a larger option than I actually need, just to organize. 😶‍:fog:️🙄
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jenout311 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?