cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Desktop App Read Only

I only seem to have read-only rights to my files on the Win11 Dropbox app

MrsBearshark
Explorer | Level 3

This has been mentioned before, but none of the "solutions" provided are working for me.  I'm running Windows 11, and have installed the Dropbox Desktop app, both from the app store and the offline installer (uninstalled and restarted between), but I still can't open any of my Dropbox files as anything but "Read-only".  I've tried going to properties and unchecking "read-only", but it just comes back when I open properties again. I tried changing properties as an administrator, also with no change. 

Dropbox desktop is useless if you can't read AND WRITE to the files.  How do I fix this?

20 Replies 20

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @MrsBearshark, would you be able to uninstall, and then re-install the app and give me a heads up once that's done?

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

MrsBearshark
Explorer | Level 3
I already did that several times. As mentioned in my original post. I uninstalled and reinstalled, including reinstalling from the offline installer as suggested in another thread. No change any of the times I reinstalled.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @MrsBearshark, hi from me as well.

Megan suggested uninstalling and reinstalling the app, as this should help bring back the Dropbox icon the system tray that you're currently missing.

If the Dropbox icon is missing, that's an indication that the app isn't working correctly.

So, can you check if the Dropbox icon comes back after you uninstall Dropbox, restart your computer and then reinstall it?

If it does come back, please hover over it with your mouse and let us know what you see.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

MrsBearshark
Explorer | Level 3

The icon does not come back to matter how many times I uninstall and reinstall.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hmm, thanks, @MrsBearshark.

In that case, please try a more advanced reinstall of the app and let me know how it goes.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

DBoxTips
Collaborator | Level 8

Hello MrsBearshark,

Based on the screenshots, the reason why that DWG file appears read-only is because you are trying to open it from the ZIP archive file that contains it. Due to Windows having built-in support for browsing the contents of ZIP archives in Windows Explorer, it makes it appear as if that were a folder.

That also explains why the location of files that you see as read-only is “(Archive Root Directory)”. Because you are not opening the DWG file from an actual folder (directory), but from the ZIP file that Windows presents the contents of as read-only virtual folders.

The reason why those files are shown as read-only is because Windows has support for reading and browsing ZIP files in Windows Explorer, but not for editing them. Editing them would require extracting the contents of the ZIP file into an actual folder.

Hope this helps.

Andrew (DBoxTips)

MrsBearshark
Explorer | Level 3

I am not opening from a ZIP file.  There are files in these folders that are ZIPed, but the ones I'm trying to open and having issues with are not. They are the full, extracted files.  

DBoxTips
Collaborator | Level 8

I agree I could be completely wrong since I don't have the full context that you have by accessing your computer. I am just trying to help based on the information you provided:

@MrsBearshark wrote:

When I check the properties for that file, it says the location is "Archive Root Directory"

DBoxTips_3-1713633443714.png

Your screenshot suggests that file 2024-03-27 Topaz Rev03.dwg has been opened from "2024-03-27 Topaz Rev03 - Standard.zip". In order to open it when you double-click it, Windows Explorer temporarily extracted the .dwg file to a Windows user temporary folder (highlighted by the red rectangle in the screenshot above). In case the file were fully extracted in the Dropbox folder, the location in the screenshot above would have been a path inside the Dropbox folder, as opposed to one in the user temporary folder.

From your screenshot it appears that Windows 11 is being used. Please keep in mind that in Windows 11 the visual distinction between a regular file folder and a compressed (zipped) folder is very subtle, so it can lead to this kind of confusion.

One way to make sure that you are dealing with a regular file folder and not a compressed (zipped) folder is to look at the folder icon in Windows Explorer. 

It should look like this:

DBoxTips_1-1713633347652.png

instead of this:

DBoxTips_2-1713633366151.png

If you could send a screenshot of one of the folders where files that experience the read-only behavior are located, as seen in Windows Explorer (so that the folder icon would be visible), it could help with figuring this out.

Thanks,

Andrew (DBoxTips)

MrsBearshark
Explorer | Level 3

I get your point and understand the difference between ZIPed and unZIPed files, but the folder I'm in and the file I'm opening do not have the ZIPed graphic, nor are they in a ZIP folder unless my computer if viewing Dropbox as a ZIPed folder.

MrsBearshark
Explorer | Level 3

I asked the owner of the original files I was having trouble with to re-upload, and it seems to be working now.  However, the settings for my Dropbox folder still show up as "read only" and I still don't have a Dropbox icon or any way to access settings for the Dropbox app, only for the folder.

Need more support?