cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to delete folders on my laptop

I need to delete folders on my laptop

Carza
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi there! I have dropbox folders on my laptop, which take up so much space. I already uninstalled dropbox desktop, but the folders aren't gone. Will the files be deleted if I delete these folders?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Carza, thanks for posting on our Community!

Uninstalling the desktop app wouldn't be deleting any of your files or folders on your computer. 

Now that you've uninstalled the desktop app, your Dropbox folder is a local copy of the files you had stored in your Dropbox account and you could move or delete them as needed.

I hope this helps and please let us know if you have any other questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Carza, thanks for posting on our Community!

Uninstalling the desktop app wouldn't be deleting any of your files or folders on your computer. 

Now that you've uninstalled the desktop app, your Dropbox folder is a local copy of the files you had stored in your Dropbox account and you could move or delete them as needed.

I hope this helps and please let us know if you have any other questions. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

sakiya
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

hi walter I am trying to free up starage space on my drop box online, I have deleted folders and files and its still saying I have no storage. I cant afford to upgrade my drop box and I would like to just delete files to create more space.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @sakiya, could you let me know what is reported in your account's plan tab in regards to your quota? 

Do you see any files or folders on your homepage or on your backups page perhaps?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

yemerchandise
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Concerning file access

I just added a file to my free Dropbox account. I need the recipients of the link to be able to access and download the file. If I select "Share with Dropbox" from the context menu, it states that "Anyone with this link can view" (which is what I want). But it says "Just you" in the "Who may access" column. What kind is it? Can those who get my link access the file and download it?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @yemerchandise, the shared link can be accessed by anyone. However, what you're viewing is when sharing files to Dropbox users directly, so the method of delivery is different.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

CharliePuthNetWorth
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Greetings! My laptop has dropbox folders that take up a lot of space. I've uninstalled Dropbox desktop, but the folders remain. Is it possible to delete these folders without deleting the files?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@CharliePuthNetWorth wrote:

Greetings! My laptop has dropbox folders that take up a lot of space. I've uninstalled Dropbox desktop, but the folders remain. Is it possible to delete these folders without deleting the files?

Uninstalling Dropbox doesn't remove the local Dropbox folder where your data is saved. If you wish to delete this folder, it's safe to do so as long as you've uninstalled Dropbox first, or used the Dropbox website to unlink the device.

One note... if you were using the Backup option to back up your key folders (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc.), then make sure you first disabled that feature BEFORE deleting your Dropbox folder, otherwise you'll end up deleting those folders as well. Check the location of those folders to make sure they're not located in your Dropbox folder.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    CharliePuthNetWorth New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    yemerchandise New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?