cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm missing files from my Dropbox account - what happened?

I'm missing files from my Dropbox account - what happened?

Dan58
Explorer | Level 3

I tried to log into dropbox on my computer and it wouldn't let me. I went to my app on my phone and noticed all of my files but someone else's name on my account. Signed out of that persons name and back into mine and all of my stuff is gone. 

10 Replies 10

Dan58
Explorer | Level 3

I have never shared a file. No one has ever logged into dropbox on my phone. All of my file names have been the same for years, and now they are changed and or gone.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Welcome to the Community, @Dan58.

When was the last time you could access your files on www.dropbox.com? Can you see more details if you visit your Events page here?

Were you able to see your files previously, before signing out of the other user’s Dropbox account?

What do you see exactly when trying to log into Dropbox on your computer (feel free to send over a screenshot)?

Let me know when you’ve got more details.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Dan58
Explorer | Level 3

I could access all my files until until I changed my name back and logged out and back on.  The events only show up until 3 hours ago.. When I log in everything is normal

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hmm, if that’s true, then it sounds like your files were saved to the Dropbox account of the other user and not the account you’re accessing now.

Do you know who that person is, so that you can ask them to check their account for your files?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Dan58
Explorer | Level 3
I don’t see how that could be the case. Some of the files that are gone now, date way back from when I set up the account. A lot of the folders are still there just folder contents are gone. I have no idea who is was. Name was Ben Doyle or something like that

Jay
Dropbox Staff

HI @Dan58, just out of curiosity, are you certain that the email used to login to the Dropbox account is the same as the one you normally use?

Have you recently sold any devices which could've had the Dropbox app installed on them?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Dan58
Explorer | Level 3

I am 100% sure that I only used my email. Mac and iPhone enter them in for me.    As far as other devices, I never sell anything without wiping it and removing it from my apple account.    It doesn't make sense to me. My current phone is only a few months old and when transferring everything to a new phone you have to put your password in which would have been stored in my Keychain access. I even pulled up the keychain app and searched "dropbox" and there is only one account and password.     I am positive it isn't something on my end.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

If there was someone else's name on your account, this could mean that someone accessed your account, using your email and password. Have you since reset the Dropbox password?

Are you able to see any unknown logins to your account on this page?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Dan58
Explorer | Level 3
I reset my password today. I don’t think someone else could have logged in to my account because it would send me 6 digit code to authorize it. Also just checked that page an all log ins are my phone or mac
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Dan58 Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?