cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I logged in today, and everything was gone.

I logged in today, and everything was gone.

SQ1
Explorer | Level 3

I took over a Dropbox Account for another member at my work over 8 months ago. We use the Dropbox regularly. I logged in today and everything was gone. No files. No deleted files. Empty. I also noticed it was requesting I verify the email on file. I have tried but I can’t get the link to go to the email. Is it possible I signed up for a new account with the exact same credentials? Why can’t I access anything ?!

13 Replies 13

Helen DBX
Dropbox Staff
Hello @SQ1 

Helen from Dropbox here. Thanks for reaching out. 

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here.

I see the issue! The original account with the email you are currently using, had an email change on 2023-06-05.

So, that account is still active, but under a different email address.  Try logging in with a different email address you have. If you can’t remember the other email address, check your inbox around that date and you will see an email change notification from no-reply@dropbox.com.

If you have a paid Dropbox subscription, you can look up a credit card charge here:
If there’s an account associated with the payment information, you’ll see the email address at the end of this process.

Finally, sharing an account is not recommended and comes with certain risks. 

I hope this helps!

Best regards, 
Helen 
The Dropbox Team

SQ1
Explorer | Level 3

Helen, 

Thank you for this. I was able to look up the email based on the billing statement. I tried to log in under that email address but no passwords were valid so i have submitted for a password reset. However, the issue is no matter what email i use, i am not receiving any email verifications or password reset options from the "no-reply@dropbox.com" email. I successfully updated my password and changed the name on my account on 7/2/24. I have all the emails. I also want to note... the pro account is up for renewal again on 8/09/2024.

Helen DBX
Dropbox Staff

Hello there, 

Thanks for your reply.

We've just created email ticket number 23989865.

I appreciate your patience and we look forward to your response on email. 

Best regards, 
Helen 
The Dropbox Team

Mark
Super User II

@SQ1 I'd also just point out that sharing an account is against the Dropbox terms and conditions and can cause an account to be banned and permanently removed (including the loss of all data). 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Helen DBX Dropbox Staff
    SQ1 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?