cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move files from one folder to another without removing the file from the original folder

Move files from one folder to another without removing the file from the original folder

MZ123
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello!

I want to move files from one folder to another folder without removing the file from the original folder entirely. 

Example: File A is in Folder 1, but File A is also relevant to what is in Folder 2. When I drag File A to Folder 2, DropBox notifies me that File A will be permanently removed from Folder 1. I do not want to remove File A from Folder 1, I just want it to coexist simultaneously in a different folder. 

The files are not locally saved to my desktop or laptop, they predate the projects I am working on!

Any help would be appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@MZ123 wrote:

I want to move files from one folder to another folder without removing the file from the original folder entirely. 

The issue is that you're trying to move a file when what you actually want is to make a copy.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@MZ123 wrote:

The issue is that you're trying to move a file when what you actually want is to make a copy.

MZ123
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you, Rich!

arzezio7
Helpful | Level 5

This is not a practical solution for a huge-sized folder with sub folders inside. The goal is to move the folder to other location WITHOUT deleting the copies inside Dropbox. If possible, we want to extend the reader's head lifespan by not copying stuff within the same drive.

Rich
Super User II

@arzezio7 wrote:

The goal is to move the folder to other location WITHOUT deleting the copies inside Dropbox.

That's called a Copy, not a Move. You want to copy data from one folder to another; not move it.

If possible, we want to extend the reader's head lifespan by not copying stuff within the same drive.

If you mean that you want to have the same files exist in two locations without actually taking up space, that's not possible. If you want to have a file in more than one location then you need to copy it to the other folder, which will result in two separate copies of the file in your Dropbox and on your local drive.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    arzezio7 Helpful | Level 5
    MZ123 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?