cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Empty

I logged in today, and everything was gone.

SQ1
Explorer | Level 3

I took over a Dropbox Account for another member at my work over 8 months ago. We use the Dropbox regularly. I logged in today and everything was gone. No files. No deleted files. Empty. I also noticed it was requesting I verify the email on file. I have tried but I can’t get the link to go to the email. Is it possible I signed up for a new account with the exact same credentials? Why can’t I access anything ?!

13 Replies 13

Rich
Super User II

@SQ1 wrote:
Is it possible I signed up for a new account with the exact same credentials? Why can’t I access anything ?!

New account, yes. Same credentials, not unless the previous account no longer existed. Two accounts can't have the same email address.

What does your Events page show? If there's no activity, you're likely on a new account.

SQ1
Explorer | Level 3
I don’t see where I even have access to an event log anymore. Where would this be located ?

SQ1
Explorer | Level 3
It says it’s a “new account”.

Mark
Super User II

@SQ1 wrote:
It says it’s a “new account”.

So that means one of two things happened. 

EITHER somebody deleted the account and youve recreated it by logging in etc. OR you are logged on to the wrong account.

When you say 'took over' an account from somebody did you actually update the credentials on the Dropbox account to become yours? If not its highly possible that whoever had the email has deleted it - after all if its in their email they own the account. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

SQ1
Explorer | Level 3
Update - it looks like when I signed in, I signed in with the wrong password and it created a new account. Tried to sign in with the correct password today and it says invalid. So I sent a reset link. The issue is I’m not getting any of the reset links.
To my knowledge I was the owner of the account and there are no other users. There are a few clients that collaborate on specific folders, but not the e tire Dropbox.
Credentials have stayed the same other than password change.

Mark
Super User II

You cant have 2 accounts with 1 email. So using a different password to log in isnt possible. If you logged in with that email thats the password on that account and the only account linked to it. 

Do the shared folders still exist? If so ask somebody to go in to that who is still in it and check the name/email its shared with for you. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

SQ1
Explorer | Level 3
Yes. When trying to access the shared folder it brings up the same email. It has me “verify your email” but I’m not receiving the link. I’ve check my focused inbox, other, spam, and ensure our quarantine email catch does not have it blocked.

Rich
Super User II

@SQ1 wrote:
It has me “verify your email” but I’m not receiving the link. I’ve check my focused inbox, other, spam, and ensure our quarantine email catch does not have it blocked.

Office 365? If so, take a look at this thread.

SQ1
Explorer | Level 3
I will look into this now. Maybe see if I can find another version of support via Dropbox also. I greatly appreciate the help. May be worth mentioning that I did a password change a little over week ago and received emails just fine.
Need more support?