cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I deleted my dropbox and it deleted my desktop and documents folders. How can i restore them?

I deleted my dropbox and it deleted my desktop and documents folders. How can i restore them?

awilson576
Helpful | Level 6

Hi everyone, 

I downgraded my Dropbox account, and because it had been syncing my desktop and documents folders, I was over the storage limit for the free account. 

I tried to follow the help centre instructions to remove the backups, but i didnt have the same options on my laptop as were shown on the screenshots. 

So, i removed the dropbox app. Still no joy. So i deleted my dropbox account. 

Now my Desktop and Documents folders are missing, along with all their contents. WTF?

Any help greatly appreciated. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

awilson576
Helpful | Level 6

nevermind, i did a force quit of Finder and it fixed the Desktop issue

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

awilson576
Helpful | Level 6

I re-created my dropbox account with the same email in order to be able to post in this chat, but the files aren't there. 

There's also nothing in the Bin folder of my mac

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 10.43.24 am.png

Tried creating new folders to act as Desktop and Documents and added alias folders but no use. 

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 10.45.03 am.jpg

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @awilson576 -I'm sorry to hear about this.

Since you've deleted your Dropbox account as well, apart from uninstalling the app, I'm afraid we won't be able to help much with restoring any files you had stored there.

Have you tried looking for them locally on your computer, be it in their original locations or the recycle bin/trash can? 

As for your computer's OS folders, have you tried resetting their folder paths?  

Keep us posted with any updates!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

awilson576
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for your reply Walter. 

The rubbish bin folder on my mac only contains files that I had deleted prior to deleting the dropbox account. 

The 'original locations' eg the Desktop and Documents folders are missing. 

How do I reset the folder paths?

I've tried creating new folders, 'DesktopNew' and 'Docs' 

Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 8.33.29 am.png

Dropbox needs much clearer warnings about the possibility of this happening when you delete your account, plus much clearer information about how to stop sync and reduce dropbox storage when you downgrade - please pass that on. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @awilson576, thanks for replying back! 

To answer your question about the reset of the folder paths, you can see more about this here

However, I'm not sure this will help, since the content has already been deleted. It would help if you did this prior to the deletion of your account, but by all means please give this a go. 

As for deleting your account, there is a relative warning that informs you on what happens when you're about to delete your account, and that all of your files and folders will be permanently removed, however I'd be happy to forward your feedback to the appropriate areas so we can continue to improve.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

awilson576
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks Megan, I followed these instructions and now the Desktop and Documents folders are functioning as before 

Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 9.34.05 am.png

The warning that appears when you delete your account is not explicit enough. It implies that only the files stored on dropbox will be deleted. It does not explicitly warn that the files will be deleted forever from your local computer as well. I have a high level of literacy, and work on UI for a software company, so please trust me when i say that the warning was not clear enough, especially given the implications of permanently losing data from the entire Documents folder on the local. That type of action should have a big red warning and two step action. 

Mark
Super User II

@awilson576 wrote:

The warning that appears when you delete your account is not explicit enough. It implies that only the files stored on dropbox will be deleted. It does not explicitly warn that the files will be deleted forever from your local computer as well. 

And this is where the whole backup thing goes wrong (I've been shouting this for ages). The text is correct. The only things deleted are stored in Dropbox. But, what ISNT made clear is that when you set backup up Dropbox MOVES everything in to the Dropbox directory - hence the issues where none of your folders worked. Thats because they'd all been moved in to the Dropbox directory which was then deleted. 

So they text itself is accurate. Its the fact that Dropbox is being a bit underhand in how it is setting backup up thats the issue - people dont realise that their data is now not where they think but instead is inside \Dropbox. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Gotcha @awilson576 & @Mark, thanks for letting me know more!

Your comments on our Backup & deleting your content have been quite helpful, and I will do everything I can to ensure that your voice is heard.

If you need anything else, let me know!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

awilson576
Helpful | Level 6

Hmmm, it appears as though I've restored my Desktop folder, but I still can't actually see files on my 'desktop' ie when all windows are minimised ,it's just a pretty background image. The desktop isnt functioning like it used to . I also can't pin it to favourites. 

Honestly, this feels like a break up of a toxic relationship. 

Me: Sorry Dropbox, I can't afford you anymore.

Dropbox: Fine then, I'm gonna steal your most precious things and change the locks on your front door. 

awilson576
Helpful | Level 6

@Megan @Walter Please assist with instructions on how to restore the normal functioning of my Desktop and Documents folders.

Need more support?