cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I deleted files accidentally more than three months ago (free plan) - can I restore them?

I deleted files accidentally more than three months ago (free plan) - can I restore them?

LindaMo
New member | Level 2

Hi! 

I have deleted a large file with documentes I wanted to keep, 4 months ago. 
Today I discoverd that. I can see the files in events on dec 23 2023. 
Because I am on a free Dropbox plan, I cannot restore these anymore. 
The chatbot could not tell me if I can upgrade to another plan now and restore the documents. 
I keep getting the same instructions, that don't help me.
Does anyone know this or another solution? 

Thank you very much in advance!

Linda
Chatbot dropbox.pngChatbot Dropbox1.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

maher1982
Super User

Hi Linda, Since you mentioned you're on the free plan and the files were deleted four months ago, they would have exceeded the 30-day retention period for deleted files. Unfortunately, in this case, you would not be able to restore the files directly from Dropbox up to my information. 

Upgrading your Dropbox plan may indeed offer you additional benefits such as extended file recovery options and increased storage space, which could be helpful in the future not in the past like your case here.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

maher1982
Super User

Hi Linda, Since you mentioned you're on the free plan and the files were deleted four months ago, they would have exceeded the 30-day retention period for deleted files. Unfortunately, in this case, you would not be able to restore the files directly from Dropbox up to my information. 

Upgrading your Dropbox plan may indeed offer you additional benefits such as extended file recovery options and increased storage space, which could be helpful in the future not in the past like your case here.

Mark
Super User II

Hi @LindaMo 

@maher1982 is absolutely spot on, after the 30 days they are completely unrecoverable I'm afraid.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

LindaMo
New member | Level 2

Thank you!
Now I know and I can move on

LindaMo
New member | Level 2

Thank you, for the confirmation!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

LindaMo New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II