cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop Dropbox Backup from old Mac without deleting backup folder from Dropbox account?

How to stop Dropbox Backup from old Mac without deleting backup folder from Dropbox account?

Jun-jun
New member | Level 2

Hi. I'm using MacBook (OS High Sierra) and have been enable Dropbox Backup for this mac. Now that I have a new mac and want to delete everything from this old Mac to give away. I did go to Preference > Manage Backups > Uncheck the boxes from backup folders, but it says all the backups will be deleted.

My question is how do I still STORE my 'Mac' backup folder on my Dropbox account and unlink the backup. So I'll be able to delete everything from this old MacBook and have data stored online?

Thanks in advance for your kind help 🙂 

1 Reply 1

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Jun-jun, let's jump right into this! 

When you say you saw a message stating you Backups will be deleted, can you let me know more about the exact message?

Also, do you wish to delete the entire content of your Dropbox folder from your MacBook, or just your Backup?

The steps you mentioned above are correct, in order for you to disable your Backup. Once you do that you can choose to leave your content in Dropbox.

If you want to keep the entire content of your account in Dropbox online, and delete everything from the Mac, you can simply unlink the app, and then delete your Dropbox folder. 

Keep me posted! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?