cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove my files in order to make space in the account?

How to remove my files in order to make space in the account?

stewchurlish
New member | Level 2

I have three accounts, 2 are mine and 1 is shared.  I am being harassed to upgrade an account that is just over the threshold for free service.  I do not want to upgrade, I want to remove some of the files to offline storage but cannot do it.  Any hints wild be appreciated.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey there, @stewchurlish, welcome to our Community! 

When you say "remove some of the files to offline storage" would you clarify a bit more, please? 

I believe you might be referring to this feature, however this has to do with the space that the Dropbox folder takes up on your device when you use the app, and how to free-up space locally on said computer.

If you need to bring your account below its allocated quota, you'd need to remove any content taking up space in the account, such as shared folders, files or any active Backups

If you have any questions, let me know!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

stewchurlish
New member | Level 2

I have made some progress and have found out how to delete individual items.  Most of my material on Dropbox is photographs.  I would like to be able to download those from dropbox to a terrabyte drive to get below the size limit that I get several prompts per day because I am over 2 GB.  Can you tell me how I can go about doing that?  

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @stewchurlish, thanks for the fast reply! 

Do you use the app on your computer? Or will you use the website in order to download your content? 

If you have the  Dropbox app installed you can simply copy any content from your Dropbox folder, and paste it inside your external drive in order to keep it there as a copy. 

On the other hand, if you wish to use our website, you can use these steps in order to download your content. Just make sure to do this in small bunches, since you might be having issues if you try to download many files/folders at once. 

I'm here if you need anything else!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    stewchurlish New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?