cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to automatically remove duplicate photos

How to automatically remove duplicate photos

Lise01
Explorer | Level 3

It would take a lifetime to individually remove duplicate photos. I need to find a way to remove them quickly and efficiently.

4 Replies 4

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Lise01! Welcome to the Community.

I’d like a few more details, if you don’t mind. 

First of all, which Dropbox platform are you trying to locate and remove duplicates from? Is the Dropbox website, the desktop, or the mobile app?

Also, when you say duplicate photos, are you referring to photos under the same filename, or photos showing the same image? 

Let me know, and we’ll take it from there.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Elizabeth Tien
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Nancy, I have the same problem and would like to delete duplicates of my photos. I don´t see the steps in your communication with Lise01. I am using : online dropbox website, have photos in files by years, not in Camera uploads, they should have same name too by multiple synchronization between phones, computers, etc. I will be glad for your answer. Thank you in advance, Elizabeth

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Elizabeth Tien! Hope you’re doing well. 

The duplicate photos that you mention; they’re all saved within different folders on your Dropbox account, and they have the same name. Am I right?

If yes, then I’m afraid there’s no automated feature to delete those at once. If a file is uploaded in a folder, and another file is already there under the same name, then Dropbox will overwrite the existing file with the new one, thus avoiding the duplicates. 

But if files under the same name are saved in different folders, then you’ll need to find them and delete them one by one. 

One thing that may help is searching for them based on their name, so that they’re easier to locate.

Hope this clarifies things a little bit.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

miriam f.
New member | Level 2

i have the same issue - i have camera uploads set up and i'm seeing many MANY files duplicated some 4 or more times. all files are in one folder - i'm using the dropbox app on my iphone to upload the photos via camera uploads and i'm seeing them in the my dropbox accessed via web browser - thank you! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

miriam f. New member | Level 2
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Elizabeth Tien Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?