cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I stop copying onto my hard drive?

How can I stop copying onto my hard drive?

Sophf
Explorer | Level 3
I tried moving files from an external drive to my computers hard drive into the Dropbox folder. The size of all these files was larger than the capacity of my hard drive. When I look at my Dropbox directory now in Finder, this folder shows a circle icon with a curved arrow (refresh icon?). When I click on this folder, I get a pop up with two options….”Finish Copying” or “Keep Resumable Copy”. If I click the first one, I get a message that I’m out of storage space”. When I click the second one, it closes the pop up but I still can’t get to the folder and view what is in it or add to it. What do I do to stop the copying/moving operation?
6 Replies 6

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @Sophf - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you please send me a screenshot of the pop up you're getting so that we can have a look too?

Also, what is the app's exact status and version as shown in your menu bar at the moment?

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Sophf
Explorer | Level 3

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 6.58.35 AM.png

Sophf
Explorer | Level 3

I just sent the screenshots.  I hit the dropbox icon in top right corner of my home screen and it says all folders are up to date.  I can't seem to get the desktop application to show up in the menu bar at the bottom of the screen right now.  When I open the dropbox app on my computer I get the dropbox folder in Finder (What you see in the first image of the screen shot I sent).  In the past when I opened the Dropbox App, the dropbox icon would appear in the menu bar at the bottom but it is not now.  I can't seem to get to a screen that would tell me what version I'm running.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Sophf! Hope you don’t mind me jump in. 

Since you’re on a Mac device, the Dropbox icon will appear at the top right corner of your computer (where your clock settings are showing). To see the app version of your Dropbox app, please hover over that Dropbox icon at the top.

Other than that, since you previously mentioned you were moving files from an external hard drive to Dropbox, would our external drive backup feature help with what you’re trying to do? I’m asking because, if you use it instead, it won’t affect your hard drive space, and your external drive’s files will be backed up to your web Dropbox account directly.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Sophf
Explorer | Level 3
Thanks for the response, Nancy. Is it possible to do the external drive backup with the external drive while also having my computer’s hard drive tied to the more traditional Dropbox? My external drive has all my past years photographs on it, and my current years on the hard drive since they are more easily accessible and I’m editing them more.

I’d still need to fix the issue outlined above

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

To answer your first question, yes, that is possible. You can keep your local Dropbox folder with your internal drive’s files on it, while also backing up your external hard drive to the Dropbox cloud.

Regarding the message you keep getting, can you pause the Dropbox app’s syncing and move the files of your external hard drive back to their original place? After that, you can resume syncing and set up the external drive backup.

Let me know if that works, or if you face any issues along the way.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Sophf Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?