cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Deleted folder

How can I recover a deleted folder?

threegreens
Explorer | Level 3

I had a folder, Pictures, with all my family photos going back one hundred years. I am 85 and did not understand how Dropbox works so I deleted the folder after being told Dropbox was full. It deleted all the pictures that were in the Pictures  folders on my desktop. I am frantic as I my family looked to me to keep them safe. How do I get that deletion back. The deleted file sections says there are no deleted files but the account says the Dropbox is full!

Help please urgently

Thank you in advance for anyone who can fix this. Dropbox did not reply to my email.

18 Replies 18

threegreens
Explorer | Level 3

I deleted the folder on Monday 15th January - this week- and it was from the Dropbox desktop app.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

And when was the last time you saw the files online on the web @threegreens

Also, did you upload it using our website, or desktop app? 

I'm asking, because had the content been deleted you should be able to see it using your deleted files page, or events page. 

The fact that you can't see your content there, makes me wonder if it was uploaded to your account in the first place. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

threegreens
Explorer | Level 3

Megan. Thank you for replying. My Events and Deleted pages are completely empty. I am afraid I have never used Dropbox so the programme was obviously uploading everything.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

I'm afraid that in this case, and since the account was already full what happened was that the content was never uploaded to your Dropbox account @threegreens

Had it been uploaded, you should be able to see some sign of it in the pages mentioned above. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

threegreens
Explorer | Level 3

If it was not uploaded to my Dropbox account then it could not be deleted within Dropbox. It was found by me in Dropbox and deleted. I immediately checked my recycle bin and it was not there so where is it when it was deleted from Dropbox

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Could you clarify what you mean by 'deleted within Dropbox'? 

Did you delete the files directly from the Dropbox site (and then maybe permanently deleted them), or did you delete them from your local Dropbox folder on your computer, and not the browser.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

threegreens
Explorer | Level 3

I deleted the one folder - not a bunch of files - form the Dropbox folder.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @threegreens, you initially mentioned that you deleted your Pictures folder from your desktop.

Did you copy that folder, inside your Dropbox folder locally on the device, or did you use the website, in order to upload the content that was inside your Pictures folder to your account? 

Do you happen to remember your process, by any chance? Did the folder have a green check mark next to it when you deleted it? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

threegreens
Explorer | Level 3

I deleted the folder after I had opened Dropbox. Don't forget I never used Dropbox and only started to look into it after I had  be inundated with notices that the box was full. As far as I  concerned it was irrelevant as I never used Dropbox but to appease "the beast" I decided to look in Dropbox and delete the large Pictures folder. It then stole my master pictures bank.

I thank everybody for the trouble you have to taken resolve the issue and will now commence wading through all my records to find photos and scan them. In the mean time I will uninstall Dropbox and regret ever having used it.

Au revoir

Michael ðŸ˜´

Need more support?