cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files in a folder are reverted to their version from 11 months ago??!!

Files in a folder are reverted to their version from 11 months ago??!!

steffi r
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, i just discovered that the whole content of a folder is reverted to a version from 11 Months ago. Many changes and work is lost now. The content is lost on all linked devices, but the other folders are ok. I updated the files in this Folder end of October, but all the changes are lost.

10 Replies 10

Rich
Super User II

@steffi r wrote:

i just discovered that the whole content of a folder is reverted to a version from 11 Months ago.

What does your Events page show for these files?

steffi r
Explorer | Level 3

The events page shows, that i edited the file on 5/10/2022 09:03. But the file in the dropbox shows last edited 13/12/2021 21:41. But also other even more important files in the folder are reverted to 13/12/2021 21:41. This is a nightmare. I stop working with dropbox immediately.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @steffi r, thanks for the info.

Could you attach a screenshot (while hiding any personal info or names) showing the details you're seeing on the events page in order for us to assist further?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

steffi r
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, thank you for your help. Attached please find a screenshot, where you can see, that i edited a file in October. When i click on the link to this file, a pdf with 0 byte is downloaded. The file in the folder is reverted to a version from last december. It has the old name again and also the content of the file is old. The indd-file is also reverted to the old version. All the changes i made in the last months are gone. 

Bildschirmfoto 2022-12-07 um 23.53.47.png

 

Bildschirmfoto 2022-12-07 um 23.53.28.png

 

Bildschirmfoto 2022-12-08 um 10.24.45.png

 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @steffi r, sorry to jump in here.

What do you see when you search through the files' version history?

And have you also searched for the name of the file through the search bar on dropbox.com, to see if there's another version of this file in a different location?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

steffi r
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, in the version history i see only one version from 13. Dezember 2021. Yes, i have searched for the file, but it is not in another location. It really seems like the content of this folder is reverted to the version from 13. Dezember 2021. The files i created later are not there anymore. I think i can't figure out, what caused the problem. I have an old iMac, i didn't switch on during some months. Maybe when i used it in October, it synced the old content from the imac and deleted the newer files? But is that possible? Isn't always the content from the online Dropbox synced over the other devices?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

It is possible for an older version of the Dropbox account to overwrite the current files on the site, if the Dropbox desktop application hasn't been running for a long time and was on a very old version.

If the files aren't visible on the events page or the deleted files page, then it wouldn't be possible to recover the missing files, even from our end, unfortunately.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

steffi r
Explorer | Level 3

I use two macs since years now and never had problems. Only one folder in my dropbox was reverted. All other folders seem to be ok, i am very confused. Thank you for your help!

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Since there isn't any history in that folder from what you're describing, there isn't anything more we can assist with on our end, due to the lack of history. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

steffi r Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?