cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files disappeared while over storage limit.

Files disappeared while over storage limit.

bnoetzel
Explorer | Level 3

Somehow I've managed to lose Last summer I dumped a lot of photos and files in my Dropbox before getting rid of an old computer. I verified that they had been transferred properly at the time. I knew at the time that I was approaching the limit on my free account, but didn't realize that I was at 6GB for with me 2GB limit. I was never notified of this or told that files would be deleted. Fast forward to today when I got an email notification of a new sign-in on my computer and noticed that the Dropbox app was eating up a ton of my computer battery. It led me to investigate and that's when I noticed that the folder is still there, but there's nothing in it. Can't find anything in the Deleted Files folder or in my computer trash.

Have I lost these forever? They were my wedding photos, so it's a particularly bitter pill to swallow if so. Any ideas??

3 Replies 3

AAAAZ
Explorer | Level 3

Hi bnoetzel,

Maybe you have to check your Dropbox files and folders on the website. Back up Dropbox files to Google Drive, external hard drive, or even other services now if all your photos and files stay there, or keep in touch with the Dropbox support team if they have disappeared.

Besides, what happens if you reach the Dropbox storage limit? your files and account may be deleted if you cannot delete files or did not upgrade your account.

To keep all your Dropbox files safe, MultCloud is the best tool for you to backup Dropbox.

Best Regards.

bnoetzel
Explorer | Level 3

Does Dropbox sometimes show lower storage limits to get you to pay for the upgrade? Now that I'm looking again, I have 7GB and am just shy of that, so I still have space and am not sure how or why these were deleted. 

Could this be some kind of bug??

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @bnoetzel, thanks for posting here!

Please be aware that if your account is ever downgraded, Dropbox will not delete any of your files. 

If your Dropbox folder becomes over quota all that should happen is that syncing stops. Dropbox will only sync until you hit your quota, so if you are over quota all that should happen is that Dropbox will not sync any new files. 

Have you checked your events page, to see what you can find there? The Events page at www.dropbox.com/events gives you an overview of all activity in your account including files events (adds/edits/deletes), as well as adding or removing shared folders. 

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    bnoetzel Explorer | Level 3
    AAAAZ Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?