cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Empty shared folder

Empty shared folder - can't restore files

JanGar
Explorer | Level 3

I want to restore files which have been deleted from a shared folder. I have access to edit the folder and it appears that it is empty for all shared users. I don’t know when the folder was emptied but it is still there. Is there any way I can retrieve the files which were in it. I’m only on a basic plan and I’ve tried going through the deleted files link to restore them but it said they couldn’t be found. If I upgraded my account would I then be able to retrieve them assuming that they were deleted within the last 180 days? The person who set up the group has left.

7 Replies 7

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Welcome to our Community, @JanGar

From your post I understand that the owner of the shared folder is the one who’s no longer available, correct?

Do you remember when was the last time you were able to see these files online approximately? What does your Events page report?

Even if you upgrade your Dropbox account, and these files were deleted more than 30 days ago, you won’t be able to recover them most likely, as your file recovery window depends on your current plan.

Let me know if you need further help.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JanGar
Explorer | Level 3
Thank you for your help. One of the other members of this shared folder payslips a monthly subscription so I’m hoping she will be able to recover the deleted files.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

This may work, indeed. If they’re on a paid plan that offers a file recovery window of 180 days, they may be able to restore the file on their end.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

JanGar
Explorer | Level 3
The files are still on my friend’s computer but when she tried to send them to me the file I receive is empty.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @JanGar, how exactly did she send you these files? 

Do you get any specific errors when trying to open them?

Also, did your friend try to re-upload them in the shared folder instead? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

JanGar
Explorer | Level 3
I think she tried to duplicate them and sent me a link to edit them. I don’t think she tried to re upload the file because she could still see the documents in it whereas I could not.

Rich
Super User II

@JanGar wrote:
I think she tried to duplicate them and sent me a link to edit them. I don’t think she tried to re upload the file because she could still see the documents in it whereas I could not.

With the original owner of the folder gone, I would create a new shared folder and invite your friend to it, then have her move the files from the old folder to the new folder.

Need more support?