cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicating files locks the file name (Mac Desktop App)

Duplicating files locks the file name (Mac Desktop App)

MissDylan
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Since updating to Ventura 13.4.1 whenever I duplicate a file, I'm unable to change the name of the file. I can open it and make edits, and I can edit the original file's name, but not the duplicate. When I duplicate to local files, the issue doesn't persist. When I duplicate to dropbox, it won't let me move the file to local.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

MissDylan
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Problem went away after I changed which folders were selectively synced (unrelated to the folders I was working in). 

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @MissDylan, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you clarify the desktop app's status and version as shown in your menu bar at the moment and also let us know your Dropbox folder's location as shown in the app's preferences under the sync tab?

Also, may I ask if you're working in your Dropbox folder when duplicating and editing your files? 

Can you please let us know if this persists when you close the Dropbox app completely? 

Any additional information or screenshots are more than welcome! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

MissDylan
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

v177.4.5399
Location ("This version of macOS requires Dropbox be stored here:") .../Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox

I am working inside of Dropbox while duplicating/editing; If I duplicate from local to Dropbox, problem still persists. No problem when just moving items around.

When I quit the Dropbox app, the problem still occurs, although it looks like some background processes might still be running since I still have all of the options when I right-click, even though I don't see anything with Dropbox in the name in my processes list.

Some other troubleshooting I've done: restarting the computer, switching new files default from "Online-only" to "Available offline" 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @MissDylan, sorry to jump in here! 

Does that happen with files that are both online-only and available offline? 

Do you see any specific errors when trying to rename the duplicate file? Also, just to clarify did you quit the app using these steps?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

MissDylan
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes, I've tried with both online-only and available offline files.

No error messages pop up with renaming; Option to rename isn't available when right-clicking, editing the info window. I get an error "bonk" when pressing enter or double-clicking. I was getting an error message when trying to move the problem files saying I don't have permission.

Yes I followed those steps to close. 

No idea what happened, but as of this morning it's working perfectly fine. I didn't restart my computer, same version of Dropbox, no changes since last troubleshoot. This was going on for over a week, and now I guess it's done... 

Edit: Just kidding! I was in my Box folder not Dropbox, problem is the same. (Sorry I haven't had coffee yet)

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Could you maybe send us a couple of screenshots of how it looks on your end so that we can have a visual too @MissDylan?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

MissDylan
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Problem went away after I changed which folders were selectively synced (unrelated to the folders I was working in). 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Awesome news @MissDylan

If you need anything else, let me know! 😊

Megan
dropbox.com/support

stefanoluz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've been having exactly the same problem and, to be honest, i don't understand the proposed solution. My whole dropbox folder is marked to be available offline, although some subfolders have the green ticks next to each name whereas others don't. Also, when I control-click on a file or folder it still gives me the option to "make available offline" even though it should already be like that since that's the setting for the entire dropbox folder. Very confusing.  

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @stefanoluz, welcome to our Community!

From what I understand, it sounds like duplicate files within your Dropbox folder can't be renamed, am I on the right track? 

If not, feel free to clarify. Also, can you let me know the app's current syncing status, along with the version you're using on your end?

As for the available offline situation, and your syncing icons, could you send me a few screenshots, in order for me to also have a visual too?

Keep me posted!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

TrickyD Explorer | Level 4
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    stefanoluz New member | Level 2
    MissDylan Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?