cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox creates conflicted copy even when excel spreadsheet editing is password protected

Dropbox creates conflicted copy even when excel spreadsheet editing is password protected

MMS_Admin
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi,

We have issues with conflicted copies, so added a password to a shared excel spreadsheet to only allow editing if the password was entered (and the prompt to 'read only').

Today another conflicted copy appeared, and it seems that two people were able to enter the password and edit the spreadsheet at the same time.

I'm trying to investigate how this happened, and some searching brings up threads about offline working...

I don't quite understand the offline working, as I thought the files were live-synced?

Is offline working something that can be turned off?

How can we ensure that a spreadsheet can only be edited by one person at a time - any advice / suggestions please?

Thank you for your help 🙂

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@MMS_Admin wrote:

We have issues with conflicted copies, so added a password to a shared excel spreadsheet to only allow editing if the password was entered (and the prompt to 'read only').

That won't do anything. Remember that each person has their own copy of a file and Dropbox can't (normally) tell when more than one person has it open. All the password is doing is protecting that local copy of the file. It's not linked back to any other copy of the file through Dropbox.

That's not the issue.

How can we ensure that a spreadsheet can only be edited by one person at a time - any advice / suggestions please?

If you're on a Dropbox Professional or Business account, you can lock a file to prevent a file from being edited. This is a manual process, so a person would need to lock a file, open it so they can make their changes, and then unlock it so others can edit it again.

If you're not on a Professional of Business account, there is no way to prevent more than one person from editing a file at the same time, but you can make use of the Dropbox Badge to know when others have opened certain Office file types.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@MMS_Admin wrote:

That won't do anything. Remember that each person has their own copy of a file and Dropbox can't (normally) tell when more than one person has it open. All the password is doing is protecting that local copy of the file. It's not linked back to any other copy of the file through Dropbox.

That's not the issue.

If you're on a Dropbox Professional or Business account, you can lock a file to prevent a file from being edited. This is a manual process, so a person would need to lock a file, open it so they can make their changes, and then unlock it so others can edit it again.

If you're not on a Professional of Business account, there is no way to prevent more than one person from editing a file at the same time, but you can make use of the Dropbox Badge to know when others have opened certain Office file types.

MMS_Admin
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Rich,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I'm told that we do have a Professional account, but when I follow the below process and right-click, I don't see the option to lock the file - so does this mean we don't have a Professional account?

To lock or unlock a file using the Dropbox desktop app:

1. Open the Dropbox folder on your computer.
  2. Right-click the file you’d like to lock or unlock.
  3. Click Lock Editing or Unlock Editing.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @MMS_Admin, happy Thursday! 

It could be a possibility that your plan wouldn't align, let's check!

Can you visit your account's plan page, and let me know what it reports? 

Thanks a bunch! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

MMS_Admin
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Megan,

I've checked and it seems we are on Basic, so I guess that stifles that workaround lol .

Thank you for your help anyway.

Need more support?