cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Backup: Why is it impossible to disable?

Dropbox Backup: Why is it impossible to disable?

blehhhh32
New member | Level 2

As far as I can find, there's one (and only one) place where Backup settings can be modified -- where you can choose to disable a particular desktop backup -- and that's in my Dropbox Preferences on (Mac) desktop. However, when I'm on this page, I'm given the message: "To manage these settings, sign in on the same computer you used to start this backup." (see screenshot at bottom)

(1) I am on the same computer I used to set up one of the backups... but Dropbox, for whatever reason, isn't recognizing it.

(2) I no longer have ready access to the other two computers that have backups set up.

I've tried simply deleting the backup folders/files from Dropbox but am blocked from doing so.

I don't understand why -- if I'm signed into my account with my password and have passed whatever other security checks Dropbox has in place -- I'm nevertheless restricted from modifying which files are/aren't saved within Dropbox and from modifying which personal devices Dropbox does/doesn't have access to.

Is there something I'm missing??

Screen Shot 2024-09-07 at 11.20.04 AM.png

15 Replies 15

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@Nrs_Schubby wrote:

... I currently have no linked devices. ...

Hi @Nrs_Schubby,

Are you sure? 🤔 Did you check it?

Again, on Dropbox site everywhere (or on most places actually) it's going word about "devices" (especially in quotes 🤫). There are NO devices though! There are links to installed applications (interpret in such a way everywhere you see "device" on Dropbox site). I'm not sure why it named so - just for user confusion.

Soo... just make it sure you have no "devices". 😉 Wipe it out when you get something found.

Hope this helps.

Nrs_Schubby
Explorer | Level 3
No error as such, just asking me to follow the steps (i.e. if I still have access to the device or not).

Nrs_Schubby
Explorer | Level 3
In setting, security it says I do not have any devices linked.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Nrs_Schubby, if you disconnected the computer in question from your Dropbox, what do you see in your backups page about this computer?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Nrs_Schubby
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I see the backup of the computer in question and if I want to delete that I get a pop up showing me to open the desktop app on that computer or click "I don't have access". If I click that, I am guided on how to unlink the computer. This used to throw an error, but now it seems to have worked!! thanks all!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Happy to hear that, @Nrs_Schubby!

If you need anything else, please let us know.

Have a great weekend!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Nrs_Schubby Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?