cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in learning how media industry leaders use Dropbox Replay? Register for our webinar here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted Backup Files not able to be restored

Deleted Backup Files not able to be restored

DeSandoPhoto
Explorer | Level 3

I have all my photos and lightroom catalogue that has disappeared from my external hard drive, but are in deleted folders in my backup of the external hard drive to dropbox.  When I open the deleted folder and choose to restore all files, a small red error message with 'there was a problem completing this request' pops up and nothing further happens.  

Please help as I am desperate to access and restore all my photos.  Thank you

7 Replies 7

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for posting on the forum, @DeSandoPhoto!

Have you tried restoring these files via a different browser? Does the same error appear then?

Can you restore a couple of them individually, and if this doesn't work try via your Events page instead? 

If none of this resolves the issue, please send me a screenshot of the error you’re receiving. 

Keep me in the loop.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DeSandoPhoto
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Nancy,

I have tried a different browser and it still does the same thing.  When I open the deleted files and ask for all folders to be restored I get the error message on the screenshot attached.  This comes up in other browsers too.  Can all my deleted files be restored please. I would never have deleted them!

I have also tried the events page but there is nothing relating to these files being deleted on there.Screenshot 2023-11-27 164719.png

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @DeSandoPhoto, did you find these folders by using the "show deleted files" option?

If so, can you try the deleted files page instead and let me know if you can see and restore them from there?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Mark
Super User II

@DeSandoPhoto 

How long ago does it show they were deleted? www.dropbox.com/events may give a clue as to that. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

DeSandoPhoto
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Mark,

It happened on 3/11 but on the events it doesn't show anything corresponding with this or any backup activity.  It seems to only show files etc that are directly uploaded or deleted within dropbox, not backup activity.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for checking, @DeSandoPhoto.

Have you tried reaching out to our support team about this? They should be able to help you restore your files.

Just let us know the ticket number for your communication, so we can look it up in our system as well.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

DeSandoPhoto
Explorer | Level 3

I have lodged a ticket.  They are not showing up in the deleted items folder, only when you go to the deleted items through the backup menus.  They were only deleted on 18/11 so not even 30 days.  I am hoping that I will get prompt follow up.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DeSandoPhoto Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?