cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot permantely delete a file I uploaded to personal dropbox

Cannot permantely delete a file I uploaded to personal dropbox

ten_photos
Explorer | Level 4

I routinely use Dropbox to temporarily share files and to swiftely delete *and* and then "permantely delete" the file using the Dropbox web interface.

Despite doing this for years, and perhaps as recently as 3 months ago, I now find that I am unable to do this.  I activate "Show deleted files", select the deleted file, and click on the 3 dots [...] and am only shown 3 options: File Info, Restore, File Activity.

This is a private Dropbox account, not linked to work or an organisation.  

What do I need to do to permantely delete a file?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

armandosrz
Dropbox Staff

Hello @ten_photos

Sorry for the inconvenience. I have created a ticket for our team to investigate. In the meantime you can permanently delete files in the deleted files page: https://www.dropbox.com/deleted_files 

Please let me know if that works! 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

armandosrz
Dropbox Staff

Hello @ten_photos

Sorry for the inconvenience. I have created a ticket for our team to investigate. In the meantime you can permanently delete files in the deleted files page: https://www.dropbox.com/deleted_files 

Please let me know if that works! 

ten_photos
Explorer | Level 4

OK! Yes that works.  Still odd that you can't do from the usual view with "Show Deleted Files", but I was able to permantly delete the file in question.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ten_photos Explorer | Level 4
    armandosrz Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?