cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't Delete Files

Can't Delete Files, too many files but they are not.

_igo
New member | Level 2

This is seriously frustrating. Ive been doing a big clean up on my SSDs today and part of that was moving dropbox from one hard drive to a larger one. Which I have done successfullly. however restructuring the dropbox sub folders has not synced in the cloud and my old folders keep getting pulled down onto my drive creating massive amounts of duplicates. the new folders are not syncing back up to the cloud either. 

Anyway I understand that part of this is because I need to delete folders from the cloud to stop them  from syncing back down to the desktop app. 

But when I try to delete certain folders I am getting "error too many files" (even though there might only be 3 or 4 files in the folder). And when i click into the folder to delete the files one by one i get "error could not delete file" (ffs can we please get some sort of error logging and not this generic bs)

I am the owner of these files. I have checked. They are not open or being held by any system process. I am logged out of the desktop application. Wtf is going wrong?

4 Replies 4

_igo
New member | Level 2

Cancelled subscription. This is such a terrible product. The bugs are crazy and the price is too high for the amount of storage you get. Ive lost too many weekends fixing dropbox bugs. Will never come back to it

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @_igo, sorry to hear about that! 

I wanted to jump in here, and ask if you're still experiencing this issue, and if you'd like for us to have a closer look together. 

I'm always here if you wish to continue troubleshooting, and I'd be happy to help you out.

Thank you!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

canyonhiker
New member | Level 2

I am having the same issue. I highlight a folder, I click on the three dots to the right, but I do not get an option to Delete. I am the sole owner of the account, I never shared the folder with anyone, and I created the folder. This is happening on all my folders. Count me frustrated.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @canyonhiker - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you clear your browser's cache or use another browser and let us know how it goes?

If the issue persists, please send us a screenshot so that we can have a look too. 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?