cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can not Delete files with this name "one.attlocal.net's invalid files"

Can not Delete files with this name "one.attlocal.net's invalid files"

sclippy
Explorer | Level 3

I have several files that I am trying to delete in my DB.  When I select them and then Delete, a few seconds later, they reappear. 

see image below.  There are 4 folders total, sometimes more, but they all have the same "Invalid files" at the end.

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 12.37.16 PM.png

15 Replies 15

Rich
Super User II

@sclippy wrote:

I have several files that I am trying to delete in my DB.  When I select them and then Delete, a few seconds later, they reappear.

If a file is reappearing after you've deleted it can often mean that the file was unable to be deleted on one of your linked devices.

You delete a file. Dropbox sends the deletion even to all of the devices linked to your account so they can delete the file as well. One device is unable to delete the file, possibly because it's in use or otherwise locked. A moment later Dropbox on that computer sees the file is still in the Dropbox folder and syncs it back to your account. This gives the appearance that the file has reappeared.

Use the version history of one of the files to determine which device it's syncing from. Once you figure that out, you'll need to figure out why the file can't be deleted on that device.

sclippy
Explorer | Level 3

that makes sense, thanks.  The folder is synced between me and another computer.   How do I find the "version history"?

Rich
Super User II

@sclippy wrote:

How do I find the "version history"?

My bad. I meant to include a link in my last reply. Sorry.

sclippy
Explorer | Level 3

thanks!  I will give it a try!

sclippy
Explorer | Level 3

Hi again,  I tried to find the version history, but there it does not show any activity.

Am I in the right place?

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 4.16.50 PM.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @sclippy, there isn't any version history for folders, but for individual files instead. Are there files in those folders? If so, you can check the version history on one of those files. 

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

sclippy
Explorer | Level 3

These are not folders even though they look like it.  nothing opens when I double click on each one.  

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @sclippy, do you see these folders in the local Dropbox folder on your computer? And if so, are you able to delete them from there?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

sclippy
Explorer | Level 3

yes, they are on my DB as folders with my other folders on my desktop.  Everytime I delete them, they come back.  I have gone to the online DB and deleted from there, but they still come back.

Need more support?