cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I prevent *.odt files from opening in Word?

Can I prevent *.odt files from opening in Word?

whawn
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

My client uses LibreOffice -- latest build -- (which I applaud, and prefer myself) and both of our machines are set to open *.odt files in LibreWriter, but the web interface says these are Word files and opens in Word for Web by default.  This screws up the file something fierce, as Word for Web apparently does not do *.odt comments and changes very well.  Oddly, local-based Word seems to do just fine with these files.  And, I'd like to keep the text away from MS's servers, anyway.  Is there a way to allow *only* LibreOffice to open these files, to prevent Word for Web from getting at them?  Thanks for any direction on this.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to jump in here, @whawn.

If you go to this page, and scroll down a bit (to the "Default editing apps" section), you can set your files to open/be previewed on www.dropbox.com, instead of being opened with Word for the web right away. 

As for LibreWriter, you can perhaps check if it’s possible to integrate it with your web account, to open your files with it instead. 

We can also have a look into the desktop app issue you mention at the end; feel free to send me more details on that, if you like.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @whawn, thanks for reaching out to us.

While locally, through your Dropbox folder, you can choose which app/program to edit your files with, the online version of your files is different.

Only certain types of files can be edited through the Dropbox website, like MS Office files, image files and PDFs.

That's probably why you're prompted to open them with Word for the web.

We appreciate your feedback on this, though, and I will make sure to pass your comments along to our team.

If you have any questions, let us know!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

whawn
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks, Hannah.  Quick reply, nice!  The problem is that the web DB interface defaults to (clearly unfinished) Word for Web, even though it is only one of the choices -- among which is LibreWriter -- in the right-click context menu, thus making it far too easy to destroy more complex .odt work.  (I'm fastidious about backups and such, so I haven't lost any irretrievably, but the time waste is a PITA) The system tray popup will open LibreWriter by default and that's good.  I've tried to wean this and other clients away from the web interface, but they somehow can't stay away...  One of the problems there, seems to be that the system tray icon frequently goes AWOL.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to jump in here, @whawn.

If you go to this page, and scroll down a bit (to the "Default editing apps" section), you can set your files to open/be previewed on www.dropbox.com, instead of being opened with Word for the web right away. 

As for LibreWriter, you can perhaps check if it’s possible to integrate it with your web account, to open your files with it instead. 

We can also have a look into the desktop app issue you mention at the end; feel free to send me more details on that, if you like.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

whawn
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Sorry to jump in? Why sorry?  It was what I was looking for, Nancy.  Thanks. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

whawn Helpful | Level 5
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?