cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to delete certain unwanted files

Can I delete files from recent files history?

Federico773
New member | Level 2

Good morning.
How do I delete videos from my recent file history that I have opened but haven't saved to my Dropbox?
They are files that I received, I just opened them with Dropbox, I see them among the recent files but I can't delete them because "they don't exist"...

10 Replies 10

Mark
Super User II

Is this on the desktop app?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Federico773
New member | Level 2

Yes, I see the files both in the recent ones of the app and in the recent ones on the site

Mark
Super User II

Recent on Site you cannot and it seems an update to the desktop app also now means you cannot. You used to be able to right click on the notification and hide. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

retexan599
Explorer | Level 3

Two unwanted files have shown up in my Dropbox account which I am unable to delete.  I don't know how they even got into my Dropbox in the first place. I can see them when I access the online Dropbox account.  Right clicking on these two files only gives the option to do this: 

retexan599_0-1720749009766.png

retexan599_1-1720749198283.png

No option to delete.  

Right clicking my normal files gives the usual menu that includes delete, rename, etc.  But not either of these two unwanted files.  

By the way, the Dropbox folder on my Windows 11 desktop File Explorer does not even show these two files.  

Would appreciate guidance on how to get rid of these two unwanted files.  

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @retexan599 - sorry to hear about this.

Could you clarify where exactly you're spotting these files, and send us a full-page screenshot so that we can have a better look?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

retexan599
Explorer | Level 3

I am seeing these unwanted files in the web based dropbox site.  Here is a picture: 

retexan599_0-1720840027592.png

The two that I can't see how to delete are these two: 

retexan599_1-1720840219226.png

Right clicking either of them does not give me the menu to delete.  

They only show up when clicking on 'Recents', they are not visible when Recents is not clicked.  Any help appreciated.   

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@retexan599, if you hover over these files, do you see a button with 3 dots on their far right side? Do you see the “Delete” option, if you click there instead?

If not, what do you see in general, if you unselect the "Recents" option? Feel free to send a screenshot of it.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

retexan599
Explorer | Level 3

When I hover over the file, I do see the three dots on the far right side.  When I click on the three dots, I do not see the "Delete" option.  What I see is: 

retexan599_0-1721152617706.png

If I unselect the "Recents" option, I see this: 

retexan599_2-1721153529721.png

The offending files are not present.  

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the clarifications and the screenshots too @retexan599 

It seems that you're referring to files show in your 'Recents' section which cannot be removed.

You can generate additional file activity to push it out of view, if needed.

I hope this helps!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?