cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alphabet slider on the Dropbox app on iOS doesn't work with folders

Alphabet slider on the Dropbox app on iOS doesn't work with folders

Megrstephens
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

On Dropbox app iPhone iOS 15
There is an alphabet slider that you can use to jump to different parts of your dropbox quickly. You used to be able to use it for any file in dropbox, but now it doesn’t work for folders. is there a possibility of correcting the situation so that the alphabet slider also works for the photos like it used to? I currently have 160 folders and when I want to search through them I can either jump to the very top or the very bottom. It won’t take me to the letter I click on which can be time consuming when you are looking for certain things a lot of the time. is it possible to fix the alphabet slider to work with the folders again?

24 Replies 24

TroyP
Helpful | Level 6

To all the "geniuses" at the drop box bar - this is not what we want. Not as fast. Pretty pathetic "fix".  We actually pay for your services and don't ask for much.  We just want it to stay the same easy platform it was before.  How much code room does the alphabet navigation actually take up?  You need to get back to the drawing board and do better.  I am pretty sure this is not going to be acceptable to any of the users that have complained or to those that did not.  

GreggM
Helpful | Level 6

I agree.   The newer scroll button is better than the old “upgraded” tiny button with 3 lines, which was an absolute horror to use.   The new button is larger and easier to engage, and the letter indication beside it is nice, but still not as fast/easy/efficient/enjoyable as the original alphabet display index.
 (It’s still kind of clunky, slow, too small, and imprecise) 

You spoiled us!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I AM BEGGING YOU, to bring the original alphabet index list back!!!

SConnon
Helpful | Level 6

There is no scrubber on my iPhone 10 with the latest iOS and latest Dropbox 372.2.4

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for letting us know, @SConnon.

Can you open the Dropbox app, tap on "account", then on the gear icon and then on "clear cache", to see if that helps?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

SConnon
Helpful | Level 6

I cleared cache, closed the Dropbox app, opened the app and it looks like there are no local files on my phone anymore. I waited for them to all download to my phone again but still no scrubber when i hold the 3 dots to the right of a filename. i have hundreds of files in this particular folder. Another folder with many folders plus files behaves no differently.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @SConnon!

When did you first notice this behavior? 

Would you mind sending me a couple of screenshots, in order for me to have a visual idea too? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

SConnon
Helpful | Level 6
I noticed it after the alphabet finder was removed from Dropbox and you told us a what you are calling a “scrubber” has replaced it. I have tried but failed to ever find anything resembling a scrubber or any kind of replacement for the alphabet finder. Please bring back the alphabet finder as it worked perfectly.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @SConnon, thanks for your feedback and for the update here.

You mentioned holding the 3 dots to the right of a file name in order to see the scrubber, however, you don't need to do that to see it.

If you simply scroll down your screen, do you not see the scrubber at all?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

SConnon
Helpful | Level 6

I scroll in my Dropbox all the time, as I have a lot of files, and I have never seen a scrubber on my iPhone or iPad.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hmm, that's strange, it works fine on my iPhone.

If you haven't already, can you also uninstall and reinstall the app?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

GreggM Helpful | Level 6
    Broadwaymhl Helpful | Level 6
    Megrnorman Helpful | Level 6
    SConnon Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?