cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: raw=1 stop working in safari

raw=1 stop working in safari. Why?

yl4882
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am using raw=1 to render images in the website I built, the images were working fine on every browser util yesterday (08/09/2023), and now stop working on safari. Does anyone experience the same thing?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lisadbx
Dropbox Engineer
Go to solution

We just released the fix for the issue on Safari with "raw=1" links. Please let us know if you still have any issues.

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @yl4882, let's jump right into this! 

Do you get any specific errors on your end when this happens? What about other browsers, other than Safari? Do you notice the same thing there? 

Keep me posted! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

djb21au
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have also struck this problem. It still works in Firefox and Chrome, but on Safari I just get a blank screen. When working on a newsletter and adding code to embed an image, again with the raw=1 suffix, the preview works on those alternative browsers but I get just the little broken image icon on Safari.

I have temporarily turned off the content blocker for Safari and a separate pop-up blocker, but that has made no difference.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @djb21au, from what you're describing, it sounds like it's affecting only Safari. So it has to be a recent change in that browser, or a setting which is preventing it from working properly.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

djb21au
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I agree, though no idea where to start in approaching Apple about it, or what to say. Are you able to give me any technical description of what happens when we change that suffix? I read something about it forcing a redirect (though I don't understand how that would work in this type of situation).

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Depending on the shared links used, there may be a redirect used. This thread shows more information on recent changes made to shared links.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Freqs
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi All, Same issue here.  Safari just showing blank screen for a raw=1 image 

Chrome and Firefox loading properly.  

Seems like a Safari issue but I can't see what changed around Aug 9th.   Was there an update to Safari around then? I don't see evidence of a software update. 

yl4882
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello all, I tried the thread that links to links to this thread, and safari started working again by modifying using dl.dropbox.com or dl.dropboxusercontent.com.

Hope this helps!

porg
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

My previous message was falsely reported as spam.

Again with fewer links to hopefully not get flagged false positive again.

I experienced this bug in the wild in this WordPress forum thread that I started:

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/responsive-attribute-shall-have-value-at-certain-breakpoint-but-...

1) In my initial post on top

dropbox.com /scl/fi/<identifier>/<filepath1>?rlkey=XXX

2) a+b) In my second post I used 2 links with this pattern

dl.dropboxusercontent.com /scl/fi/<identifier>/<filepath2>?rlkey=YYY

Chrome + Firefox: Load all 3 links fine.

Safari: All links work fine when clicked. But in addition I also had the videos embedded inline as IMG elements, which Safari allows. It treats them like animated GIFs (autoplays, looped, muted). This worked fine yesterday. But not when I revisited the page.

Interestingly a hard reload helped. Maybe your browser caching busting/policies are not set up correctly? (Especially in conjunction with redirects, something probably messes up Safari). Although theoretically link pattern 2ab should not use any HTTP redirects, so should serve with HTTP 200 according to your documentation.

Freqs
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

That did work, I just changed the link and added the dl.dropbox.com up front and Safari now loads fine, dl.dropboxusercontent.com work fine too. Fortunately I only had to modified a hand full of new links and all the legacy links still work. Thanks! 

Need more support?