cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: how to share a folder without adding it to the recipient's dropbox account

how to share a folder without adding it to the recipient's dropbox account

haptrail
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hi, I want to be able to share a folder in my dropbox account and this help tip tells me how to do it:  
  1. sign in to dropbox
  2. Hover over the name of the folder you'd like to set permissions for and click the share icon (rectangle with an up arrow).
  3. Enter the email addresses of the members you’d like to add.
  4. Select Can edit or Can view from the drop-down menu.
  5. Click Share folder.
But the problem with this is IF the recipient has their own personal dropbox account, it adds the folder to their own dropbox account and takes up their own storage in their own account.

I just want them to be able to view the folder in MY shared account, not to add the folder to their dropbox account in order to do that.  Is this possible?
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @haptrail 

Basically, no, if they have it in their Dropbox account it uses their space/quota. So, if they want it on their computer even as a read only in Dropbox it uses quota. 

If they just need a read only version send a shared link instead. The downside though is they need to continually click to go to the web page and see the most recent versions of files 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @haptrail 

Basically, no, if they have it in their Dropbox account it uses their space/quota. So, if they want it on their computer even as a read only in Dropbox it uses quota. 

If they just need a read only version send a shared link instead. The downside though is they need to continually click to go to the web page and see the most recent versions of files 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

haptrail
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Mark, thanks so much for the quick reply and the solution (shared link) you offered.  When I tried that initially, it gave the recipient view of all the folders in my account (not just the selected one) and edit ability as well.  I must have done something wrong, so I need to play with that some more.  The "downside" you mentioned is not an issue, so hopefully I can get the shared link to just allow viewing of the specific folder with no edit ability.  I'll get back to you after that if you don't mind.  Thanks again!

Need more support?