cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

content to a subfolder

content to a subfolder

IlCubano1
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, if I add content to a subfolder of a folder that is among those selected for synchronization, isn't the Dropbox content updated automatically?

17 Replies 17

Mark
Super User II

Dropbox will only sync files and folders inside of the Dropbox directory. So if you add something in to Dropbox or a subfolder it will sync. If its to another location and you've copied files over, it wont.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

IlCubano1
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the reply. I'll give an example because I'm not an expert. Among the folders I uploaded to Dropbox there is the Customers folder with several subfolders that correspond to the various customers. If I add a subfolder to Customers why am I adding a new customer Does Dropbox update the contents of Customers? If I edit a file in the Dropbox Customers subfolder does it update? Thank you

Mark
Super User II

If it is \Dropbox\Customers\*.* and you add a new folder there it will update to the cloud but nowhere else on the computer. 

If however, you have copied the \My Documents\Customers\*.* folder to Dropbox and add a new folder here then it will not update to Dropbox or sync anywhere. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

IlCubano1
Explorer | Level 3

It doesn't update the content for me. The synchronization is stopped at 6 days ago. I closed and relaunched the Dropbox Desktop app but nothing...

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @IlCubano1, could you confirm that you are definitely adding content into the Dropbox folder and any subfolders in there, in order for the Dropbox desktop application to sync it?

A screenshot of the desktop app when you click it would help greatly.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

IlCubano1
Explorer | Level 3

Senza titolo1.pngSenza titolo.png

Hi, in the first screenshot the folder on the PC in the second is the same folder uploaded to Dropbox, as you can see the Ferrari Luca folder is not there

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @IlCubano1 , sorry to jump in here, but could you confirm that the desktop app is running on your computer and that it's up to date and not still syncing in your system tray?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

IlCubano1
Explorer | Level 3

Senza titolo2.pngSenza titolo1.pngSenza titolo.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff

In that case, maybe you've selectively un-synced this sub-folder from your computer @IlCubano1 ?

Could you check your selective sync settings through the app's preferences under the sync tab to see if that's the case?

Also, do you see any sync issues in the relevant tab after clicking your profile picture?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    IlCubano1 Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?