cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't redirect into reparse point please choose different target path

can't redirect into reparse point please choose different target path

dhainlin
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

So, I uninstalled Dropbox. Now I find that my folders; Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, and God knows what else are all set to my Dropbox folder. When I go to 'restore' these folders to their correct, default Windows 10 path, I get the above error message. This is outrageous. What is the solution?

67 Replies 67

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @rudinskyla, could you attach a screenshot showing the error message you're getting on your device?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ColeSnow
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Like others, I get the "can't direct into reparse..." message. Unfortunately, the Dropbox account in question is one that I had through a previous employer. I no longer have access to this account, so I can't download it again to try to disable the sync. Can you help? Thank you.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @ColeSnow, sorry to hear about this.

Can you please send us a screenshot of the exact error you get and go through the steps you take that result in it? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

ColeSnow
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Walter,

Thanks for writing. Let me back up to see if there's a simpler way to address this. I have two Dropbox accounts: my personal one (Account A) and former employer (Account B). Account B is the one that I inadvertently set up to sync everything to, which has wreaked havoc on my computer. Having read through all of these threads, it seems that the first step would be for me to disable the computer backup feature for Account B. However, the only preferences settings I can access are those for Account A, which are unrelated to my problems with Account B. I can't get access to the email for Account B in order to reset a password or change settings. Is there another way for me to disable the backup feature and close that account once and for all? Thank you

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

So, the desktop app is linked to Account A or B @ColeSnow?  You can check this from the app's preferences under the Account tab. 

If you could also elaborate on the problems that syncing Account B on your computer created for you, I'd appreciate it. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

ColeSnow
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Sure. I'll try to be as clear as possible, though it's been confusing for me.

I already had Dropbox account A for personal use. Dropbox B was created for me through an employer (freelance, so I was using my personal computer). I inadvertently set it up so that ALL my computer files were being saved to Dropbox B. After the job finished, I continued to have access to Dropbox B because they forgot to take me off and I didn't realize I had set it up as the default pathway. Once I realized this, I couldn't figure out how to correct it, so I removed all of my personal files from Dropbox B (I thought) and uninstalled it from my computer. This did not fix the issue and it was still the default pathway. I tried the following:

1.  Reinstalling Dropbox on my computer. It is linked to Dropbox A (my personal account). Yet Dropbox B is still the default pathway.

2. Resetting to the default pathways but the Dropbox B pathway now IS the default and I am not able to make my C drive the default pathway.

Somewhere in this process, the "can't redirect into reparse point please choose different target path" came up but I'm hoping there's a more straightforward way to solve this.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @ColeSnow, just to make sure we're on the same page, can you clarify if you try to move the Dropbox folder location? 

If so, did you try through the app's settings? Feel free to send me a few screenshots of the error you get in order for me to have visual; and walk me through the steps you follow on your end, when you see the error.

Thanks! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ColeSnow
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Just like when you bring your car to the mechanic and it miraculously seems to have fixed itself...my problem seems to have been resolved. Thanks for your help!

Need more support?