cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why won't my devices sync with each other?

Why won't my devices sync with each other?

WhyDoHumansNoLongerExist
Explorer | Level 3

I have no idea if this is the right area. My tablet and phone show a 3 Month old version of files and not all of them. I've tried signing into the web app. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling on my phone and nothing works. IT looks like syncing had been paused on the computer but even once that happened it doesn't populate to the other devices.

I'm not sure what else to do.

17 Replies 17

WhyDoHumansNoLongerExist
Explorer | Level 3

That didn't work unfortunately, and I did restart my computer.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me too @WhyDoHumansNoLongerExist!

Keep in mind that computers sync directly with the Dropbox website, not with each other. 

To find where the problem lies, we need to check the device you used to update and add the content to the account. 

Can you send me a screenshot of the app's syncing status on that device, and also a screenshot of your Dropbox folder, showing the files you've added on your end, please? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

WhyDoHumansNoLongerExist
Explorer | Level 3

I'm in a very long and painful discussion with Dell. It seems the OS is corrupt and they want to reinstall it. However, since my work isn't saving to Dropbox cloud because it's only on my computer, I'm stuck in a loop. Is there anything you can suggest for backing up my files before they reinstall (which went very badly the last time they did so)?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

You can try uploading the files directly to the Dropbox site without using the Dropbox desktop application. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

WhyDoHumansNoLongerExist
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you. However, if this really is an issue of the OS causing the sync problems then can anyone explains this. I shared the folder with another person. She has been saving documents to it. However, when I go to the web app, I do not see her documents either. I can see one stuck in my synch folder that says "Download Complete" but it does not show anywhere except in her files. So, would this mean it's not just my computer but some issue with Dropbox. Downloading and running the offline installer did not help.
Picture1.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Does your collaborator see their changes on the shared folder if they navigate their account from a web browser @WhyDoHumansNoLongerExist ?

Also, can you clarify if the app is stuck at syncing the exact same number of files for a while now or if  it's progressing at all? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

WhyDoHumansNoLongerExist
Explorer | Level 3

I can now see some of her documents. In the graphic above the ones at the top showing download complete are the ones she's loading. I cannot see an excel file that is in the folder and she can see it. She sees this. It's blurry but the first doc is excel and I don't see it on the web but only on my computer. A few days ago it said it was process 507 files. Now it says syncing 517. The last time it looks like it uploaded one of my files was in early January.

WhyDoHumansNoLongerExist_0-1709176030211.png

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @WhyDoHumansNoLongerExist, sorry to jump in here as well.

If this person has uploaded the Excel file to the correct folder and can see it in the folder on dropbox.com, so should you, because the website is a mirror of what's saved in our servers.

If you don't see the Excel file in the folder on your end (on dropbox.com), can you login from another browser or a private browsing/incognito window and check again?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    WhyDoHumansNoLongerExist Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?