cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We been busy working on some major updates to the Community, so check out what's changing, what’s staying the same and what you can expect from the Dropbox Community right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why don't I have access to support on an Essentials trial? Why can't users join a shared folder?

Why don't I have access to support on an Essentials trial? Why can't users join a shared folder?

bingamoon
Explorer | Level 3

I am a recent user of dropbox and signed up for the essential account. I have encountered an issue and have been trying to reach dropbox support unsuccessfully. Under the support page there are options as how to contact support which are 1. submit a request, 2. chat and 3. request call back. However all those options are grayed out and i cannot choose any of them as a method of contacting the support folks. Why is that, since under the essential plan i am supposed to be able to get direct technical support form dropbox? 

13 Replies 13

Jay
Dropbox Staff

It isn't possible to share your quota with another user, unless you're on a Dropbox team together. Your Essentials plan (and quota) is for your account only, and can't be shared with another user.

The other user would need to upgrade in order to add a large shared folder to their Dropbox account.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rich
Super User II

@bingamoon wrote:

All i want to do is share my folder with someone else and have that person to make changes and make edits to the items in the folder in this case video files.

You did it correctly, but the other user doesn't have enough space available in their own account to accept the share.

does the other person need to have a higher storage account to be able to work within my folder?

Yes, but he's not working in your folder. He would be working in his own copy of the folder, stored within his own account, which would sync back to the copy you have.

and if so why?

Primarily to prevent abuse by people trying to stack accounts to receive unlimited storage.

so i need to upgrade and he needs to upgrade in order to be able to share and work out of the same files?

Yes, if those files will not fit in the available space in the account. Simply put, you upgraded so you have access to 3TB of space. He did not. He can't accept the shared folder that you invited him to because it doesn't fit in the space that he has left in his account.

bingamoon
Explorer | Level 3

what is Dropbox team and how do i sign up for it and when i do get the team version does that mean anyone who i give access to my files and folders can work out of the same quota without having to upgrade their own quota? 

bingamoon
Explorer | Level 3

okay can the other person just access the folder and download the contents on his computer, which is what i really want. all io want is for the other person access the folder download it on his computer. that is why i upgraded my membership to upload my folder and have the other person access and download it. he does not need to do anything in my folder rather just access it and download it however he cannot access the folder due to storage limitation which does not make sense to me if i only want to have someone to get my files.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

bingamoon Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?