cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does it take so long to upload video files to Dropbox?

Why does it take so long to upload video files to Dropbox?

Jeremy VdP.
New member | Level 1

I have Dropbox Pro because I have to upload videos for clients and share them. This process has been taking far too long, and last night I started to upload 8 videos totaling about 10Gb. Three of these videos are still not ticked but showing the blue 'uploading' icon. That is about 18 hours after starting the upload. I have a very fast Virgin broadband and can upload this much video to Youtube etc in a tiny fraction of this time. Why is it taking Dropbox SO long to upload and process these video files? Is it always like this? If so, there's really little point in upgrading to Pro.

6 Replies 6

Ed
Dropbox Staff

Hi there

Sorry for the late response, are you still having issues?

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Jeremy VdP.
New member | Level 1

Wow, this response is VERY late. There are still issues with upload times though I have had communication with one of your tech support girls and have received further information as to why this is. I have found some methods to help speed up the upload times but have to accept that larger video files are just slow because of Dropbox's method of uploading. Hopefully the new servers coming online later this year in Ireland will help with this problem as well.

Harold S.4
New member | Level 2

I have been challenged with the same problem. With an upload speed of 10 Mbs from my Internet provider (Comcast) it takes at least 5 hours to upload a 6 Gig video file. This is driving me nuts! Seems like it was never this slow in the past.

Dave H.24
New member | Level 1

Attempted to upload a 1.3 GB  video file 3 times.  Each time the process was very slow and the uploads timed out before they finished.  Very annoying.  Is there a solution or should I disconitnue suing DropBox?

Grace B.12
New member | Level 1

Searching these forums for an answer... and nothing. What's up, Ed? That reply has been left on at least two boards and no solution. Does anyone know of a better online service to upload and store files online? Everyone uses this, so it is convenient in that regard. Like many folks here, it's problematic to deliver to clients when it takes 10 hours to upload 99 files. Maybe this service is more useful for people who use jpgs or files under 5 mb? Would appreciate a little insight 🙂 

Mark
Super User II

David - dont use the web interface. Its not designed for large uploads. 

Grace - upload is totally limited by your own ISPs speeds. Put the files in to the Dropbox folder and leave them making sure in preference you have set upload speeds to DO NOT LIMIT. 

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Grace B.12 New member | Level 1
    Dave H.24 New member | Level 1
    Harold S.4 New member | Level 2
    Jeremy VdP. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?