cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does a shared folder not share quota?

Why does a shared folder not share quota?

soundconvincer
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just got off a chat with one of Dropbox's representatives.

In short, I have a Dropbox professional plan and I created a separate folder for each of my students. Yesterday, one of my students got a message that her account is "full" despite me having two and a half terabytes of free space left. Well, guess what, space is calculated double - once on my account and once on hers. So, let me get this straight, if I share a big folder with a lot of files with, say, 20 people, Dropbox will require all 20 of them to pay for the same amount of space!?

Anybody from Dropbox cares to justify this!?

10 Replies 10

Rich
Super User II

@jimmermaine wrote:

I'm guessing there's a way for you to set up a "DROP ONLY" folder so I can upload to someone's account without it appearing in my quota.

Yes, the intended recipient can create a File Request which will allow you to upload directly to their account, without impacting your own.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    jimmermaine New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Gigi2424 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?