cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I have Dropbox Alias?

Why do I have Dropbox Alias?

catstepmum
Explorer | Level 3

I seem to have Dropbox and Dropbox Alias. I've no idea why. Can I just bin the Dropbox Alias? Will that cause problems? 

5 Replies 5

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @catstepmum, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you clarify where you're seeing this? Is this on the Dropbox site, mobile app, or in Explorer/Finder on your machine?

Any other info or screenshots would be helpful!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

catstepmum
Explorer | Level 3

I tried to send you a screenshot, but it just bounced back to me. In my Documents list I had Dropbox and Dropbox Alias. I tried to move Dropbox to my favourites list, and it simply disappeared. By searching in Finder, I find under My Mac a whole list: three Dropbox Aliases, One Dropbox folder, one Dropbox application, and one Dropbox (old). I think the trouble began when I changed computers, and discovered that my Dropbox had disappeared when I did the transfer, although everything else moved across with no problems. So I presumably at that stage opened a new Dropbox, and I used my personal email address [Removed as per Community Guidelines] instead of the professional address I'd used previously [Removed as per Community Guidelines]. (I didn't realise I was opening a new one - thought I was just locating the old one.) I have a screenshot, but I can't see how to link it to this message. 

Ann

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Were you trying to email me the image? Are you not able to attach the image in your reply, or copy and paste it there?

The Dropbox (old) folder would belong to a different Dropbox account than the one linked in the Dropbox desktop application.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

catstepmum
Explorer | Level 3

I didn't intend to open a new Dropbox account when I changed computers, but as my Dropbox disappeared, I thought I had no option. I now seem to have multiple Dropboxes and aliases - I don't know why. I simply tried (unsuccessfully) to move Dropbox (as opposed to Dropbox alias) from My Documents to Favourites. Can I retain a single Dropbox account? And can I get rid of these aliases? 

Ann

catstepmum_0-1691675219433.jpg

Calvin2DBX
Dropbox Staff

Hi @catstepmum!

I'd like to chip in here with some things you can check on your side to get to the bottom of this.

Firstly, as you have, or had, more than one account, it seems, let's make sure you can sign into both accounts using the website. If using the same web browser, sign out, then in to each account in turn, or if you have multiple browsers/devices, even easier is signing into one account per web browser/device.

So long as all the files have gone up to the account associated with the Dropbox (Old) folder, you can simply delete that on the computer for now.

You'd then check to see in which account you have most of the content you need. If there's some in one and not in the other, check here how to resolve this.

Once you've decided, it's simply a matter of signing in to that account in the desktop app, instead. 

If you still face issues with aliases, after, as this will need some more customized troubleshooting, you can open a support ticket where we can help you in more detail.

Thanks!

Calvin
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Calvin2DBX Dropbox Staff
    catstepmum Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?