cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will online-only files work on Linux?

When will online-only files work on Linux?

edugsdf
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I need to save space on my hard drive. Online-only files would be the perfect solution, but it still does not work on linux fedora.

When will we have this solution?

186 Replies 186

kevinm8
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

thanks nb3. i am currently evaluating pcloud, tresorit, and mega.

as a bonus, they all offer client side encryption as well. 

neltnerb
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Sure, I vote for this. I have a pro plan and would love to be able to selective sync. I use it all the time on 50 computers at work and it's frustrating that it doesn't work on my own computer.

sub
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Absolutely would like to see support of Smart Sync for Linux.

beeker
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have gotten tired of waiting for even an acknowledgement, never mind a solution and have moved to pCloud. It was suggested as an alternative by another user and an excellent recommendation at that. It is working great on Linux, Android and Windows. I'm dumping my paid subscription to dropbox since us Linux users are being ignored. 

Ljiljan
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Even though I would like to see the new option available in Ubuntu and another linux-based operating systems, we should be aware that Dropbox offers fantastic cloud storage, file synchronization and personal cloud. Selective Sync works fine. Google still does not offer its own client for Google Drive. We should be fair and thank them; because some other companies don't have enough time to update their Qt-based applications, but we are forced to use older versions of their software for months/years before they release a newer version. My point is: it is ok to demand a new option, but please don't use this forum to promote alternatives. Linux-based OSes hardly have a 2% market share and having anything from big companies is a win. 

John S.234
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hey Dropbox,

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add Smart Sync for Linux.  Selective Sync is OK, but Smart Sync would allow my search utilities to find files, whether or not they are downloaded.  I have all but dumped windows, and occasionally use macs, but my primary OS now is Linux - please make it a priority!

I'm a paying user, and presumably, you want to keep people like me.

Jonesyy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Signed up just to up vote this. Currently in the process of switching from windows to linux mint on my 3 work computers and a personal computer and the only real problem I'm having with linux is that dropbox doesn't have smart sync 😞 this is a huge deal for me as I use drop box for work and the smart sync on windows is sooooo useful. i have a feeling this will fall on deaf ears, but hopefully you make this available for linux at some point.... in the mean time I'm starting to search around for a linux based alternative with a smart sync kind of feature...

xaviv
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for showing pCloud.

As time passes by and DropBox still ignores Linux users (and companies using Linux) it is time to change. Not renewing this year.

Also pCloud has many more interesting functionalities as the family plan.

lformaggia
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am joining the complaints about the lack of availability of Smart Sync on Linux. Dropbox has just upgraded my plan to Plus, with a not negligible increase of the annual fee, and the main feature that has been added is not available on my operative system! It's a shame!

nb3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I recommended pCloud, but I actually ended up using "InSync" for Linux with Google Drive. I pay for Google's 2tb/year storage, and bought InSync's license which is one-time, and I find it has some advantages, including "Smart Sync"-like features (basically can upload to gdrive, then disconnect folder), and I can specify folders to sync. The thing I like best is that I get the advantages of searching with Google Drive, so I can search within photos which is crazy useful, and now my Gmail, Google Photos and Google Drive space is all consolidated, so I'm getting more of my money's worth. It's almost exactly what I need, and easy to work with regardless.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DBX_Pedro Community Manager
    FlashyX Helpful | Level 5
    drdebian New member | Level 2
    stefano balladore Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?