cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will online-only files work on Linux?

When will online-only files work on Linux?

edugsdf
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I need to save space on my hard drive. Online-only files would be the perfect solution, but it still does not work on linux fedora.

When will we have this solution?

186 Replies 186

Clem R.2
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Lethargy keeps me on board. I just cant be rc'd with researching other clouds. NextCloud why, how much effort to transition?

Christos K.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dear All, I am using Dropbox in Windows, Mac, and have just installed it in Linux (Pop!OS).

I am trying to find the option of having "all files as online only", but cannot find it.. has anyone got any experience in it? I wonder whether there are different versions of Dropbox installation downloaded from the Linux repository stores -and whether I've somehow got a version that doesn't offer such an option (despite oferring it to Windows & Mac)..

Any help is much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Christos

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Christos K., I hope you're doing well, and thanks for posting here!

At the moment, the ability to make your files only is only available on Windows and Mac devices, but not on Linux. 

I hope this clarifies!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Christos K.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hi Megan, thank you for the answer. Is there any visibility (or any way I can get notified) on when we may see this function (set up at Preferences all files as “online only”) coming also into Linux? Very grateful. Kind regards, Christos.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Christos K., we don't have an ETA at the moment, but we'll make sure to update this thread, when we do.

I hope this helps!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Christos K.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hi Megan, yes please, it does help! Thank you.

tonyb4
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This thread has been going for years!

I wouldn't expect them to fix it anytime soon. They have no priority helping linux users

We are going to move away from dropbox when our billing cycle comes round and I suggest you do the same if you are a Linux users as well

Christos K.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hello, thank you for your answer. I am using Dropbox in all three main Operating systems (so I’m using Windows 11, Mac and Linux too!!). I’m using the first two for my laptops I use for professional work, and I am also “experimenting” with Linux just to see “what’s the fuss about”. So, which online cloud service you think may work really well and reliably for ALL THREE systems? Dropbox is great on Windows 11 and Mac, but the Linux version has issues. OneDrive is OK for Windows and a Mac but often has a few issues too (though I have found latest version to be OK for these two operating systems), however it doesn’t natively support Linux.

What options would you suggest that works really well with all three, and if not all three, which one works best with Linux?

Thank you!

oidarnam
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I agree. Unfortunately, our billing recently renewed. Just need the time to find the best solution. Too bad for Dropbox, since they made the effort to support Linux at all (sans features like Smart Sync), unlike some of the other big name cloud drives.

tonyb4
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Im looking at NextCloud

Any thoughts on that?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DBX_Pedro Community Manager
    FlashyX Helpful | Level 5
    drdebian New member | Level 2
    stefano balladore Helpful | Level 5