cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only online in Linux missing

When will online-only files work on Linux?

edugsdf
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I need to save space on my hard drive. Online-only files would be the perfect solution, but it still does not work on linux fedora.

When will we have this solution?

185 Replies 185

lformaggia
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Unfortunately I use too much dropbox fornlooking to alternatives. I have however a partial solution. I use rclone to mount my dropbox on the cloud, so I can access the files in dropbox I am not syncing with my pc. Not as flexible as SmartSync, but it is a workable solution.

designthree
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Adding one more voice for this feature for Linux. Sitting here watching my HD run out of space. 🙄

AgathaCrystal
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi everybody,

I just setup a Linux workstation and im surprised that the "online only" feature is missing, since it is definitely a keyfeature for Linux laptops.

Would appreciate to get this feature since, this is kind of a must-have for me. 

Agatha

carp21
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Have also been waiting for this feature for a while. I guess the good people at Dropbox can't be bothered to communicate about it, however.

Clem R.2
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

'Smart' is usually an oxymoron.  Dropbox is losing its raison d'etre if it is no-longer a universal solution- simply it is now broken.

John S.234
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
RCLONE on Linux is saving Dropbox for me . I hope that Dropbox appreciates that utility.

msperlin
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I paid for dropbox for the last 6 years. After some investigation I realized that, for linux, dropbox is just like any other cloud service. Cancelled dropbox and currently using insync+gdrive, which is like 3 times cheaper.

Vlad-Mihai
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Indeed. There are also other (cloud) storage services with functionality similar to smart sync that work well on Linux (and also somehow cheaper) so I switched from Dropbox 6 months ago and don't regret it.

Clem R.2
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

To?

luiscunhamx
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Adding also my voice here. It's unbelievable that this post was one 4 years ago and no developments until now.

Need more support?