cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Uploads from Scan document on an Iphone 12 pro max are stuck

Uploads from Scan document on an Iphone 12 pro max are stuck

emsilver523
Helpful | Level 6

When I use the Dropbox widget to scan a document on my iPhone, I take the photo, crop it, hit next, give it a simple filename with no special characters, choses a folder send click save, it just sits forever on uploading.  Subsequent scans say waiting for upload.  I have updated Dropbox to the latest version, and I am on iOS 15.6.1.  Even if I kill the app and come back, it is still sitting on uploading.  I have tried powering off the phone and airplane mode off and on, but it doesn't work.  The only way to fix it is to log out and back in to Dropbox but then I have to start the upload over.  This is happening weekly.

46 Replies 46

Riley M.2
Helpful | Level 6
I’m experiencing the same issue. Very frustrating as if you no longer have the documents which were scanned, they are lost.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey guys, I hope you're doing well! 

If you're on iOS, please let me know if "Auto Capture" is set to on or off. You can check the status of Auto Capture by looking at the "Auto" icon at the top when capturing a scan.

Can you also try toggling it on/off and see if there's any difference? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Riley M.2
Helpful | Level 6

In my case auto capture is on. But doesn’t seem relevant. The picture is taken. The file is named. The capture process seems to be complete. Then it goes into Uploads and stays there for an extended time. Sometimes minutes. Sometimes days. Sometimes it instantly uploads.

It’s not a connectivity issue as all of my other network related apps work fine. And I’m able to access other Dropbox documents.

I can also take more scans, and they also appear in the Upload list, but they remain queued up behind the original stalled upload.

Once the upload begins, it seems to go quickly as normal.

Killing the app doesn’t have any effect. The file is there when you restart it.

If I had to guess, your backend upload process is flaky and your client doesn’t handle failures well. Instead of timing out and retrying, it just sits there. But it’s amazing an app restart doesn’t trigger a fresh try.

And again, the most frustrating part of this is that the files are inaccessible during the upload. If I could access them and then re-save them as a new PDF-- even in a different file service-- I could "rescue" them and try the upload later after cancelling. But with them being inaccessible, if I cancel, the file is lost forever. And the physical document is often no longer available.

Riley M.2
Helpful | Level 6
This is also happening when I scan from the iOS Files app. Everything appears successful from the perspective of the Files app but when I go over to Dropbox, it shows again as a stuck upload.

This is also now happening very regularly. Rebooting doesn’t necessarily dislodge the file. If this persists I will switch file sync services.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Riley M.2, sorry to jump in, but would it be OK with you if we reached out to have a further look internally?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

emsilver523
Helpful | Level 6
This is exactly how mine behaves as well.

Riley M.2
Helpful | Level 6

Yes, it would be ok, but I might have fixed this issue.

I uninstalled Dropbox and removed all local data. Then reinstalled it.

And so far, the problem has not recurred.

I will update this thread again if it does.

emsilver523
Helpful | Level 6
I did try that as well and the issue eventually resurfaced after a few weeks.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Before switching to email communication, could you both try clearing the app's cache and ensure you're using the most up to date version of your device's OS version and our mobile app's latest version as well?

Apart from that, have you tried another wifi network or doing this via cellular data? If so, what were the results?

Keep me in the loop @Riley M.2 & @emsilver523

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

emsilver523
Helpful | Level 6
I have tried clearing the cache several times. The problem is sporadic so I don’t know if that has any effect but it resurfaces regularly. This has happened on several different WiFi networks and 5G.
Need more support?