cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Upload speed is rather slow despite FTTH fibre optics

Upload speed is rather slow despite FTTH fibre optics

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11

Good morning, I've recently moved and am now the proud owner of an FTTH fibre optic Internet connection. I just ran a speed test, and my download speed is at 30 MB/S, while upload speeds have reached up to 9 MB/S.

However, when I use Dropbox to sync my files, the speeds are significantly lower. For example, the other day I was backing up hundreds of files and saw speeds peaking at just 3 MB/S.

Why is this?

Before anyone asks the obvious, I'd like to clarify that my test was conducted during the day, lasted several hours - as I was syncing hundreds of high-resolution images - and no one else was at home. There were no concurrent downloads or updates happening, and I haven't set any bandwidth limits on Dropbox. Just to be clear on that.

Any ideas?

Oh, and I'm writing from Italy. Could it be that Dropbox relies on servers here that have bandwidth limitations?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @cloudres, thanks for your post today.

To provide some context on syncing speeds, keep in mind that most internet service providers measure connectivity speeds in kilobits and megabits (KB and MB), while most cloud storage providers measure the size of data in kilobytes and megabytes (also KB and MB). 

The difference between the units is: 8 bits = 1 byte, so seeing speeds of 15,000 KB/sec (or 15 MB/sec) from Dropbox is equal to around 120,000 KB/sec (120 MB/sec) from a speed test.

This can sometimes make it look like Dropbox is running slower, but the only difference is in the measurement unit.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have more questions.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11
I tested the speed using iStat Menu 7, always measuring in MB/s. So I really don't understand your comment.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@Hannah wrote:

... in kilobits and megabits (KB and MB), while most cloud storage providers measure the size of data in kilobytes and megabytes (also KB and MB). 

Hi @Hannah,

Just keep in mind that B, KB, MB, GB, etc. are all multiple of Bytes, NOT bits!!! (or that's the rule, at least - incorrect enlabel is always possible though) The units, like b, Kb, Mb, Gb, etc. are multiple of bits. 😉 The difference is in the unit letter capitalization!!!

There are other information units differences. While KB, MB, Kb, Mb, etc. are decimal representations, KiB, MiB, Kib, Mib, etc. are binary representations. Sometimes the units are misused (or ever mixed) by some providers. For example Dropbox use binary units as values on Dropbox site (for file size, available and engaged user space, etc), while the labels are decimal (KB, MB, GB,...) - completely wrong!!! 😯 The same like to measure a temperature in Fahrenheit, but labeled as ℃ or opposite. 🤣 Keep correct unit labels (on the forum at least - whenever possible).

Need more support?