cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Completely confused about Backup versus Sync: Can I do both?

Completely confused about Backup versus Sync: Can I do both?

Launce
Helpful | Level 6

I have been syncing my Windows library files (Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Videos) using Dropbox for years.  But I keep getting messages about trying Dropbox Backup. 

What is the difference?  Will files in Backup sync and be available on multiple devices?  Does Backup support versioning?  In which case I don't need Sync.

Contrariwise, will files I'm syncing be backed up, in the sense that I can use them to restore my files in the event of a crashed computer?  I know Sync supports versioning; I've used it.  In which case I don't need Backup.

Which one, Sync or Backup, protects me best against malware or ransomware?

Or for extra protection, can I, and should I, use both Backup and Sync for the same folders?

1 Reply 1

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Launce, thanks for reaching out to us.

Syncing your files and backing up your files with Dropbox backup are indeed a bit different.

With syncing, you need to manually add files to your Dropbox folder to sync them to your account.

With Backup, you can select your desktop folders to get backed up automatically without manually moving them to the Dropbox folder.

You can read more about the feature here.

Backup also offers version history for your backed up files, just like syncing, but you don't need both for the same files.

Protection is the same, no matter how you choose to add your files to Dropbox.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?