cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Unable to upload a file using Safari

Unable to upload a file using Safari

Mark Siegel
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Suddenly, dropbox.com isn't allowing me to upload a file if I'm using Safari as my browser.  It works fine using Chrome.  Any ideas what's going on?

26 Replies 26

Leeza_K
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have had the same problem for the last few days, unable to attach files in gmail, upload photos to square space, also using Mojave and I tried to upgrade to Big Sur and update safari to see if it would fix the problem, but I am unbale to upgrade / update either. Sent apple an email and hoping for a response or soultion. I will try the drag and drop in the meantime, thanks for the suggestion.

Alan L.10
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having the same problem with uploads across multiple sites. Anywhere where I used to be able to upload files, I no longer can in Safari, it just acts like the "upload" buttons are nothing but text.  Drag and drop has not worked for me.

Mark Siegel
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
Sorry to hear that, Alan.  I do find that drag-and-drop still works for me, at least in most cases.  The sites I use most that work are Gmail, AOL, and Dropbox.

I'm also sorry to say that Apple has still not fixed this bug in Safari, at least in the latest update.

As before, I encourage everyone to call Apple Support [phone number removed as per Community Guidelines], tell them you have the problem, but don't let them try to walk you through trouble-shooting.  Tell them that you know MANY users in this Dropbox community are complaining about the problem, and insist that the technician makes a note of it to send to the engineers.

I'll also suggest that you post the issue to Apple Feedback:  https://www.apple.com/feedback/
You won't get an answer, but I'm told that someone at Apple does read all of these posts.

My hope is that if Apple gets enough of these calls/posts, they'll finally recognize it as a known issue and do something about it.

Mark Siegel
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Good news!

I just updated to the latest Safari (Version 14.0.3 for Mojave -- could be a different number if you're running a different Mac OS), and the bug is fixed.  I just successfully uploaded two filed to Dropbox in the old-fashioned way:  click on the "Upload" button, and the drop down window will appear to navigate to your files.

The Safari update also appears to be working across websites.  The "attach" button in my email servers is working again as well.

Mark Siegel
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Good news!

I just updated to the latest Safari (Version 14.0.3 for Mojave -- could be a different number if you're running a different Mac OS), and the bug is fixed.  I just successfully uploaded two files to Dropbox in the old-fashioned way:  click on the "Upload" button, and the drop down window will appear to navigate to your files.

The Safari update also appears to be working across websites.  The "attach" button in my email servers is working again as well.

Mark Siegel
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Leeza,

I don't know if you saw my most recent post from last night, but the Safari bug has been fixed!

I got a notice last night that a new Safari update was available for Mojave.  I download and installed it, and tested the upload/attach buttons immediately, and they all work again, both for Dropbox and my email servers.  Check your Sytem Preferences for software updates, and see if there's a new Safari available.

BTW, don't expect a response from Apple to your email.  I frequently post comments or questions to the Apple Feedback site (https://www.apple.com/feedback/), and while I'm assured by Apple techs that they are all read and considered, they have too many submissions to be able to respond.  Best way to contact Apple is by phone -- (800) 275-2273‬ -- and if you're reporting a bug that many others have experienced, ask them to make their software engineers aware of it.

Alan L.10
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Mark --  

Fantastic!  I fetched and installed the new version of Safari.  My uploads to websites are now working as they have in the past.  

Thank you!

-- Alan  

Need more support?