cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We been busy working on some major updates to the Community, so check out what's changing, what’s staying the same and what you can expect from the Dropbox Community right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Unable to click "Share" when creating a File Request.

Unable to click "Share" when creating a File Request.

Tyndale
Explorer | Level 3

Hi...I'm a new DropBox user with an Essential plan but in the 1 month trial period.  When I create a File Request, I enter the Title and Description and then click Create.  DropBox allows me to Create a Folder and then it asks me to enter the email address that I want the receiver to get and then the receiver will upload PDF's that I need and the receiver should be able to send them back to me. 

When I enter the correct email address, below that field, it has the dropbox link and says to either copy (and send the link via regular email, but I want to Share the Dropbox Link by clicking on the buttons below, either DONE or SHARE.   

The button for DONE can be clicked on but the SHARE button is grayed out and I cannot click on it.   SO, I clicked on DONE but it the receive has not received my email from DropBox.   I never get to the point of being able to click on SHARE (Because it remains greyed out and I cannot click it) and therefore, I beleive the email is not being sent to the receiver.   

Cannot someone tell me how to fix this issue......since I am in the trial, if I cannot use the DropBox File Request buttons and box to request files from a receiver, I do not believe I want to pay for an account after the trial period.    THANK YOU.  

Searching through the forum, I've tried using a different browser and clearing cookies, but I get the same issue.

Any suggestions?  ALSO THE ONLY LABEL I COULD CHOSE BELOW WAS DROPBOX TRANSFER...IT DOES NOT CONTAIN A FILE REQUEST LABEL. 

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Tyndale, let's see what we can find about this together! 

If you visit the email address linked to your Dropbox account, do you see a confirmation there that you’ve sent the request

Also, have you tried sending an email by clicking the icon located to the right of the file request (paper airplane) and then choosing to send an email directly to a recipient? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Tyndale
Explorer | Level 3

Megan, thank you for your response.  Here are the answers to your questions:

If you visit the email address linked to your Dropbox account, do you see a confirmation there that you’ve sent the request?  No I do not see a confirmation, where would I find that on the page?

Also, have you tried sending an email by clicking the icon located to the right of the file request (paper airplane) and then choosing to send an email directly to a recipient?   I just attempted to send by clicking on the paper airplane and sent the person an email from my MS Outlook email with the dropbox link copied and pasted in the email for her to be able to hopefully click on the link and then access the Folder that I created for her, but it is to late to know if she has received that email today.    BUT, I also decided to try another File Request and input my corporate email [email address removed per the Community's Guidelines]...and all of a sudden the SHARE button turned blue and was available to click on to send.....but when I switched my email to the desired recipient's email address, it greyed out the SHARE button and all I could click on was the DONE button.  The recipient has a gmail.com address and I know that it is her correct address, since she has been successfully emailing attachments to my company email MS Outlook account.  *HMMMM....COULD IT BE THAT DROPBOX WILL NOT ALLOW OR DOES NOT WORK WITH GMAIL.COM ADDRESS FOR THIS FILE REQUEST FEATURE??  Thank you for your help and response.  Tyndale

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @Tyndale - thanks for the additional information.

Could you maybe send us a screenshot of how the grayed out buttons look on your end so that we can have a visual too?

Also, when you say you input your corporate email address, is that the email address that's associated with your Dropbox account by any chance? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Tyndale
Explorer | Level 3

Walter here is the screenshot when I put the recipient's gmail address in the field and you will see below that, the Share button is greyed out, it is not DARK (not blue as I previously incorrectly stated, I thought that button turned Blue, but it actually turns DARK when it allows you to depress/click on it), allowing me to click on and share and I have also provided a screen shot of what it looks like when I put my company address in the email field (which is the same email address that I have used to start my DropBox account) and you will see in this screenshot, the Share button is DARK, allowing me to click on the button and share.  

Tyndale_0-1729600999671edit.jpg

Below is the screenshot when I have entered my company email address, which is not a gmail.com address and the Share button is DARK and would allow me to click on it.

Tyndale_1-1729601240134edit.jpg

Walter, I also input another company email address for one of my co-workers, into the same field and you will see that it is also greyed out and does not turn DARK, so I have a feeling that any address (other than the one I used to open my DropBox account) will not work and the Share button would be greyed out. 

Tyndale_2-1729601668347edit.jpg

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP, BECAUSE I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING INCORRECTLY,  Tyndale 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screenshots and additional info, @Tyndale.

Have you tried this from a different browser or a private browsing/incognito window, to see if it helps?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?